Re: Mic. and softphones [was Voice redirection: from mic. to speakers on wheezy laptop].

Good time of the day, Camaleón.

Thank You for Your time and answer.
You wrote:

> Tested. And not good news ;-(
>
> I managed to place a call with Ekiga with my usual SIP account and
> using the integrated mic/speakers from the netbook and it works...
> but sadly the overall sound was simply terrible, unusuable to keep a
> conversation.
>
> Thinking the problem could be the bad quality of the sound card, I
> attached my usual Plantronics USB headset, which was detected by the
> system without problems but still the call sound was very bad (very
> cranky with a loud background sound).
>
> I'm starting to think the problem can be Ekiga itself, because using
> the same SIP account, with the same headset, going out from the same
> DSL router and calling the same phone number, in my Lenny system this
> setup works very well but in Wheezy is impossible to use.

May other OS components cause this? Though I do not know what. :o)

> In brief: consider testing a different SIP/VOIP program.

I have searched Debian on soft phones and found

ihu (would call sip for me)

linphone - fails to run w/

ALSA lib conf.c:4687:(snd_config_expand) Unknown parameters 0
ALSA lib control.c:951:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL default:0

and

sflphone - calls but I do not here sound though all volumes on ALSA
mixer were high.

And I saw no more soft phones in Debian from repo.s.

So far, ekiga is the best option for me, and I would say, most
comfortable its GUI comparing w/ the above.

But was is bad to me w/ ekiga is - its doc.s do not specify my problem
- as what is expected to not work and therefore a fix is offered -
  works for me and therefore the fix works not for me - though the
  problem is listed by those fix makers but diagnostic is
  applicable for me and so their solution.

Thus, both modes - mono and stereo, 8/16 kHz work w/ my SB:

$ arecord -D plughw:0,0 -c 1 -r 16000 -f S16_LE - | aplay -D plughw:0,0
-c 1 -r 16000 -f S16_LE -

BTW, as a workaround w/ latency for redirection of my voice (from mic.
to speakers) :o) Not what I wanted, but better than nothing.

But ekiga does not echos my voice though as I have mentioned in other
messages - mic. volume reflects my speech.

> > . Voice redirection from mic. to speakers (they have mentioned on
> > simplification of SB circuits - and I believe it is my case -
> > therefore another mic. type is needed - do not know when - if ever
> > - I obtain one);
>
> http://bit.ly/PEwU5U
>
> Google suggests using "jackd" to get this working (mic going through
> speakers) among other solutions but I don't know if it's worth the
> effort. In the end, what's your goal for having this?

Sometimes, for singing is good. :o)

Thank You for link but sends me google start page.

> > . Can not here my voice back from ekiga test numbers nor from the
> > link above that You gave. - For both calls I can hear sound but it
> > seems they do not hear me - though mic. volume meter of ekiga -
> > changes as I speak, so mic. probably works but either it is not
> > send over network (I checked my firewall and did not see relevelent
> > droppings in my logs), or ekiga does not get mic. signal - but as
> > its meter reflects when I speak, then I suppose it is wrong
> > suggestion.
>
> It works on my side but as I already told you, is almost unusable. I
> don't know if Ekiga is the one to blame here but trying with a
> different softphone won't neither hurt.
>
> I have in my radar "Jitsi" (https://jitsi.org/), it was an
> application I've been following very close because I like the fact
> it's written in Java thus can be used also from a windows system,
> although still not tested :-P

OK. Thank You. I just would not install software from non-debian
repo.s. In case I will move it to a VM, then I will try it, though do
not know when.

> > I guess ekiga people should make a diagnostic tool - that audio/net
> > problems might be inspected more accurate.
>
> Sure. And what is worse, now there is no way to tell Ekiga what input/
> output hardware device to choose, it has to be done from the GNOME
> sound applet first :-/

That's what I think is bad in DEs: they develop their software only in
conjunction w/ whole DE instead of making working standing alone
functionality - like konsole or kate from KDE, ekiga, evince from
gnome, etc. Who prevents them from feeding command line parameters to
the GUI programs - at least?!

I will look for ekiga list - may they will shed some light on the problem.

Sthu.