Re: Microphone does not work on wheezy laptop.

Good time of the day, Camaleón.

Thank You for Your time and answer, again.
You wrote:

> >> I don't know... I just have run the above command from my wheezy
> >> (installed in a netbook) and I got a reply ("codec: IDT
> >> 92HD88B1") :-?
> >>
> >> Check if there's something of interest in the directory, try with:
> >>
> >> ls -la /proc/asound/card[0-9]/*
> >
> > That's what I get:
> > ls -la /proc/asound/card[0-9]/*
> > -r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Aug  7 14:32 /proc/asound/card0/codec#0
> > -r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Aug  7 14:32 /proc/asound/card0/codec#1
>
> (...)
>
> Then why the "head" command returned void? :-?

May this is the reason?

> > cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0
> > Codec: Conexant ID 2bfa
>
> But also run:
>
> cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#* | grep Codec

Codec: Conexant ID 2bfa
Codec: SigmaTel STAC9200

$ cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#* |grep -i mic
  Pin Default 0x04a11020: [Jack] Mic at Ext Right

Probably, says about connector only?

> Because you seem to have two different codecs listed.

May one for modem, another - sound card?

> >> And also run "aplay -l".
> > **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
> > card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
> >   Subdevices: 0/1
> >   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

(...)

> > dell-m26
>
> Mmm... Now run, juts to be sure:
>
> arecord -l

**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

> > I do! :o) I have told it is an old laptop that works very well
> > still.
>
> Okay, okay... let's try then to restore the honour of your oldie
> laptop.

Actually, I never saw it. :o) - Only on desktops - w/o any problems.

> > Thank You very much! - What did You check to find out that
> > "snd-hda-intel" should be specified here? - I understand that
> > "HDA-Intel" tells about this - but what about exact "snd-hda-intel"
> > cypher? :o)
>
> Mmm... that's the usual value for intel HDA chipset (the full list of
> available modules are documented here):
>
> http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/sound/alsa/ALSA-Configuration.txt
>
> (yours is and HDA ATI SB)

Oh, thanks again!

> > Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
> >   Capabilities: cvolume cswitch penum
> >   Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
> >   Limits: Capture 0 - 15
> >   Front Left: Capture 0 [0%] [0.00dB] [off]
> >   Front Right: Capture 0 [0%] [0.00dB] [off]
>
> (...)
>
> Wait. I must have missed this line from your very first post, but
> this has to be your mic input (this is what I also get from my
> netbook and I can from the mixer applet the "mic" is there) :-?

Hmm. On desktops I see exactly word microphone or mic - do not remember
correctly. Then alsa mixer has appropriate handle w/ which I can change
its gain. - Here, on laptop, I miss all this.

> How are you testing your microphone?

Eventually, knocking on microphone gives no any sound in speakers.
Whereas on desktops - it does.

The microphone is working - tested on desktops.

> > - no mic. nor mic. working. :o(
>
> Well, you can also try with a different one as this won't hurt:
>
> options snd-hda-intel model=ref

> And so on... (remember to reboot or restart alsa service after
> editing the file to changes take effect)

Done, restarted w/

# /etc/init.d/alsa-utils restart

correct? - But nothing.

> >> Mmm... if it was working before the chances that the card is still
> >> supported are higher. It could be just that now it requires some
> >> tweaking or specific settings to make it to work :-?
> >
> > Hmm. I do not think the lap. is too old that the code will be
> > removed from kernel/ALSA to support the HW.
>
> Neither I do. That would be going very (very) backwards.

OK, thank You! :o) - It inspired me!

> > You know at the time laptop was new and latter - I thought, When
> > will kernel support my mic. ? And You say it is old. I think it is
> > misconfiguration on ALSA/whatever side that withheld mic. from
> > working rather than a support issue.
>
> Yup.
>
> > If You will not get borried w/ the thread, I will supply any info
> > needed in order to solve the mic. problem.
>
> Bored because of problems... never! That makes things even more
> interesting :-)

Wow! Great spirit! Thank You for Your help! - No matter what will be
its result!

(..)

Sthu.