Re: Microphone does not work on wheezy laptop.

On Tue, 07 Aug 2012 15:18:31 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

>> > head: cannot open `/proc/asound/card0/codec' for reading: No such
>> > file or directory
>> >
>> > What do I miss here?
>>
>> I don't know... I just have run the above command from my wheezy
>> (installed in a netbook) and I got a reply ("codec: IDT 92HD88B1") :-?
>>
>> Check if there's something of interest in the directory, try with:
>>
>> ls -la /proc/asound/card[0-9]/*
>
> That's what I get:
> ls -la /proc/asound/card[0-9]/*
> -r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Aug  7 14:32 /proc/asound/card0/codec#0
> -r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Aug  7 14:32 /proc/asound/card0/codec#1

(...)

Then why the "head" command returned void? :-?

> cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0
> Codec: Conexant ID 2bfa

(...)

> Any ideas? :o)

Not yet :-)

But also run:

cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#* | grep Codec

Because you seem to have two different codecs listed.

>> And also run "aplay -l".
>
> Oh, it's better:

> card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
>   Subdevices: 0/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>
> That gives us same
>
> dell-m26

Mmm... Now run, juts to be sure:

arecord -l

>> > but at the same time I have found corresponding line for my laptop
>> > model, so I've got the module is called
>> >
>> > dell-m26
>>
>> Oh, good catch, you can try with that but do you really have an
>> "Inspiron 1501"? :-?
>
> I do! :o) I have told it is an old laptop that works very well still.

Okay, okay... let's try then to restore the honour of your oldie laptop.

>> > Now, where should I put it? Can You bring here the line example?
>>
>> This has to be placed in "/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf", at the end
>> of the file add new line similar to this:
>>
>> options snd-hda-intel enable=1 index=0 model=dell-m26
>
> Thank You very much! - What did You check to find out that
> "snd-hda-intel" should be specified here? - I understand that
> "HDA-Intel" tells about this - but what about exact "snd-hda-intel"
> cypher? :o)

Mmm... that's the usual value for intel HDA chipset (the full list of
available modules are documented here):

http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/sound/alsa/ALSA-Configuration.txt

(yours is and HDA ATI SB)

>> After editing the file restart the alsa service or reboot, which is
>> usually easier.
>
> I have done as You said:
>
> cat /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

(...)

> options snd-hda-intel enable=1 index=0 model=dell-m26
>
> Then rebooted, but w/o luck:

(...)

> Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
>   Capabilities: cvolume cswitch penum
>   Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
>   Limits: Capture 0 - 15
>   Front Left: Capture 0 [0%] [0.00dB] [off]
>   Front Right: Capture 0 [0%] [0.00dB] [off]

(...)

Wait. I must have missed this line from your very first post, but this
has to be your mic input (this is what I also get from my netbook and I
can from the mixer applet the "mic" is there) :-?

How are you testing your microphone?

> - no mic. nor mic. working. :o(

Well, you can also try with a different one as this won't hurt:

options snd-hda-intel model=ref

And so on... (remember to reboot or restart alsa service after editing
the file to changes take effect)

>> Mmm... if it was working before the chances that the card is still
>> supported are higher. It could be just that now it requires some
>> tweaking or specific settings to make it to work :-?
>
> Hmm. I do not think the lap. is too old that the code will be removed
> from kernel/ALSA to support the HW.

Neither I do. That would be going very (very) backwards.

> You know at the time laptop was new and latter - I thought, When will
> kernel support my mic. ? And You say it is old. I think it is
> misconfiguration on ALSA/whatever side that withheld mic. from working
> rather than a support issue.

Yup.

> If You will not get borried w/ the thread, I will supply any info needed
> in order to solve the mic. problem.

Bored because of problems... never! That makes things even more
interesting :-)

> Again. thank You!

:-)

Let's see if we can restore your recording capabilities.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón