Re: Microphone does not work on wheezy laptop.

On Thu, 09 Aug 2012 16:24:48 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

>> > That's what I get:
>> > ls -la /proc/asound/card[0-9]/*
>> > -r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Aug  7 14:32 /proc/asound/card0/codec#0
>> > -r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Aug  7 14:32 /proc/asound/card0/codec#1
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> Then why the "head" command returned void? :-?
>
> May this is the reason?

What do you mean? :-?

The above "head" command should look for whatever files are placed there,
remember we used a glob pattern "*" so any "/proc/asound/card0/
codec_whatever_file" has to be found.

>> But also run:
>>
>> cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#* | grep Codec
>
> Codec: Conexant ID 2bfa
> Codec: SigmaTel STAC9200
>
> $ cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#* |grep -i mic
>   Pin Default 0x04a11020: [Jack] Mic at Ext Right
>
> Probably, says about connector only?

So it seems.

>> Because you seem to have two different codecs listed.
>
> May one for modem, another - sound card?

Yes, that makes sense. Conexant is a well-known manufacturer for embedded
modem chipsets.

>> Mmm... Now run, juts to be sure:
>>
>> arecord -l
>
> **** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices **** card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB],
> device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Good. I wanted to verify the STAC92xx chipset was selected as the default
recording chipset instead the other.

>> Okay, okay... let's try then to restore the honour of your oldie
>> laptop.
>
> Actually, I never saw it. :o) - Only on desktops - w/o any problems.

Shhh! Be quiet, your netbook can be listening and won't like seeing
you're in doubt about it :-)

>> Wait. I must have missed this line from your very first post, but this
>> has to be your mic input (this is what I also get from my netbook and I
>> can from the mixer applet the "mic" is there) :-?
>
> Hmm. On desktops I see exactly word microphone or mic - do not remember
> correctly. Then alsa mixer has appropriate handle w/ which I can change
> its gain. - Here, on laptop, I miss all this.

Yes, I also see a "Mic" device in desktops but not in my netbook (and you
know what? My netbook also has a STAC92xx chipset, I didn't notice until
now :-P). I mean, this can be normal and not an error per se. Of course,
despite not being displayed, the microphone has to be visible/
controllable from the sound applet and has work :-)

And now I realized I share the same chipset as yours and we also share
the same kernel version, I can run more tests from my side. Run "dmesg |
grep -i mic", I can see a line referencing the microphone device, check
if you also have it.

>> How are you testing your microphone?
>
> Eventually, knocking on microphone gives no any sound in speakers.
> Whereas on desktops - it does.
>
> The microphone is working - tested on desktops.

Okay, have you checked for the input (mic) volume levels? What kind sound
controller are you using (gnome/kde volume applet...)? Also, test with
the usual command line utility to test the mic:

arecord -d 10 /tmp/mic.wav

The above will record from your mic input for 10 seconds and save the
sample result at "/tpm/mic.wav" which you will be able to play with:

aplay /tmp/mic.wav

>> Well, you can also try with a different one as this won't hurt:
>>
>> options snd-hda-intel model=ref
>
>> And so on... (remember to reboot or restart alsa service after editing
>> the file to changes take effect)
>
> Done, restarted w/
>
> # /etc/init.d/alsa-utils restart
>
> correct? - But nothing.

Mmm... maybe this indicates that specifying a model by hand is not needed
and the problem is elsewhere :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón