Re: Microphone does not work on wheezy laptop.

On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 18:38:29 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

>> > May this is the reason?
>>
>> What do you mean? :-?
>
> That "the "head" command returned void" - therefore no microphone?

Well, it returned "nothing" but there were indeed two devices, so no
"void" at all. That was my concern, that "head" command was "lying" us :-)

> (..)
>
>> > Actually, I never saw it. :o) - Only on desktops - w/o any problems.
>>
>> Shhh! Be quiet, your netbook can be listening and won't like seeing
>> you're in doubt about it :-)
>
> No, it doesn't here - the mic. does not function! I can say anything
> about for the present time. :o)

There's still the modem mic!! :-P

>> Yes, I also see a "Mic" device in desktops but not in my netbook (and
>> you know what? My netbook also has a STAC92xx chipset, I didn't notice
>> until now :-P). I mean, this can be normal and not an error per se. Of
>> course, despite not being displayed, the microphone has to be visible/
>> controllable from the sound applet and has work :-)
>
> And w/ this I have problem. I use console only tool - therefore I use
> ALSA mixer, and my mic refuses to work unless in it is the built-in
> (ROM?) testing program. May it worked under windoze - but I had never
> such a one on the lap.

Mmm... is it possible that you can you load a LiveCD (choose whatever you
prefer, it does not have to be Debian or Debian related) and check if the
microphone is present there? I mean, that you can controll it from the
sound applet.

> Does Your mic. work?!

Good question as I don't use it so much :-). Hold on, going to test it...

Yes, it works. I have launched the gnome-sound-recorder application and
from there I can only select one device ("master") from where to get the
input. I start recording and after stopping and playing I can hear
exactly the recorded sample.

Let's see how it goes with the "arecord" utility. Hold on...

Yup, it also works fine.

Hint: when you're in alsamixer, press F6 to be sure you are controlling
the right card (Intel HDA) in the event there is more than one listed.
Also, from here, press F4 to put at 100% the Capture swicth.

>> And now I realized I share the same chipset as yours and we also share
>> the same kernel version, I can run more tests from my side. Run "dmesg
>> | grep -i mic", I can see a line referencing the microphone device,
>> check if you also have it.
>
> Oh! Me too!

(...)
> [    9.441402] input: HDA ATI SB Mic as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.2/sound/card0/input13
> [    9.441589] input: HDA ATI SB Mic as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.2/sound/card0/input14
> [    9.441751] input: HDA ATI SB Mic as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.2/sound/card0/input15
(...)

> So, how to use it ?!!! I got excited! :o)

Three (3) inputs? I only get one. I wonder if the mess can be from here :-?

>> Okay, have you checked for the input (mic) volume levels? What kind
>> sound controller are you using (gnome/kde volume applet...)? Also, test
>> with the usual command line utility to test the mic:
>
> Of course. I just checked now and to my amasement I saw additional
> channels appeared.

Uh? Magic strikes back? :-)

> So, I have turned on all of them w/ maximum gain:

(...)

> Simple mixer control 'IEC958',0
>   Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-joined penum
>   Playback channels: Mono
>   Capture channels: Mono
>   Mono: Playback [on] Capture [off]

Capture is "off".

> Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
>   Capabilities: cvolume cswitch penum
>   Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
>   Limits: Capture 0 - 15
>   Front Left: Capture 15 [100%] [22.50dB] [off]
>   Front Right: Capture 15 [100%] [22.50dB] [off]

Here there's a difference with mine: I have both (front left/right)
turned [on].

> Simple mixer control 'Digital',0
>   Capabilities: cvolume penum
>   Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
>   Limits: Capture 0 - 120
>   Front Left: Capture 120 [100%] [30.00dB]
>   Front Right: Capture 120 [100%] [30.00dB]
> Simple mixer control 'Input Source',0
>   Capabilities: cenum
>   Items: 'Front Mic' 'Rear Mic' 'Line'
>   Item0: 'Rear Mic'
> Simple mixer control 'Mux',0
>   Capabilities: cvolume penum
>   Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
>   Limits: Capture 0 - 4
>   Front Left: Capture 4 [100%] [40.00dB]
>   Front Right: Capture 4 [100%] [40.00dB]

For these ones there's no info about if they're on/off.

> Yet, no sound from the mic.
>
>> arecord -d 10 /tmp/mic.wav
>
> This command hangs - I think it can not use/open mic. device if any.

Mmm... that's curious. If the mic is not detected (not your case) or not enabled
(this seems to be your problem) I would have expected an error from arecord but
not to hang :-?

While Googling around, I found this:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture#No_Microphone_Input

You can try what it says, that is:

***
Many Dell laptops need "-dmic" to be appended to the model name in /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf:

options snd-hda-intel model=dell-m6-dmic
***

Yes, not very orthodox, but you seem to have a "new" digital mic detected, so
who knows... Also, take a look into ALSA debigging tips for recording:

http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/SoundcardTesting

Greetings,

--
Camaleón