Re: Microphone does not work on wheezy laptop.

Good time of the day, Camaleón.

Thank You for Your time and answer, again!
You wrote:

(..)

> > And w/ this I have problem. I use console only tool - therefore I
> > use ALSA mixer, and my mic refuses to work unless in it is the
> > built-in (ROM?) testing program. May it worked under windoze - but
> > I had never such a one on the lap.
>
> Mmm... is it possible that you can you load a LiveCD (choose whatever
> you prefer, it does not have to be Debian or Debian related) and
> check if the microphone is present there? I mean, that you can
> controll it from the sound applet.

OK. I will try and write back, latter.

> > Does Your mic. work?!
>
> Good question as I don't use it so much :-). Hold on, going to test
> it...
>
> Yes, it works. I have launched the gnome-sound-recorder application
> and from there I can only select one device ("master") from where to
> get the input. I start recording and after stopping and playing I can
> hear exactly the recorded sample.
>
> Let's see how it goes with the "arecord" utility. Hold on...
>
> Yup, it also works fine.

Lucky person! :o)

> Hint: when you're in alsamixer, press F6 to be sure you are
> controlling the right card (Intel HDA) in the event there is more
> than one listed. Also, from here, press F4 to put at 100% the Capture
> swicth.

That I have done already...

> >> And now I realized I share the same chipset as yours and we also
> >> share the same kernel version, I can run more tests from my side.
> >> Run "dmesg | grep -i mic", I can see a line referencing the
> >> microphone device, check if you also have it.
> >
> > Oh! Me too!
> >
> (...)
> > [    9.441402] input: HDA ATI SB Mic
> > as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.2/sound/card0/input13
> > [    9.441589] input: HDA ATI SB Mic
> > as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.2/sound/card0/input14
> > [    9.441751] input: HDA ATI SB Mic
> > as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.2/sound/card0/input15
> (...)
>
> > So, how to use it ?!!! I got excited! :o)
>
> Three (3) inputs? I only get one. I wonder if the mess can be from
> here :-?

May UDEV works wrong? In ALSA mixer I have 3 mic.s: Line, Rear, Front -
switched every one - no sound in speakers.

> >> Okay, have you checked for the input (mic) volume levels? What kind
> >> sound controller are you using (gnome/kde volume applet...)? Also,
> >> test with the usual command line utility to test the mic:
> >
> > Of course. I just checked now and to my amasement I saw additional
> > channels appeared.
>
> Uh? Magic strikes back? :-)

I suppose it came because we changed model to ref, may. On changing
back - I will see if it is still there.

> > Simple mixer control 'IEC958',0
> >   Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-joined penum
> >   Playback channels: Mono
> >   Capture channels: Mono
> >   Mono: Playback [on] Capture [off]
>
> Capture is "off".
>
> > Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
> >   Capabilities: cvolume cswitch penum
> >   Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
> >   Limits: Capture 0 - 15
> >   Front Left: Capture 15 [100%] [22.50dB] [off]
> >   Front Right: Capture 15 [100%] [22.50dB] [off]
>
> Here there's a difference with mine: I have both (front left/right)
> turned [on].

I think this is the reason. - I have turned all to maximum and unmutted
in ALSA mixer (capture screen), whereas amixer still shows.

Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
  Capabilities: cvolume cswitch penum
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Capture 0 - 15
  Front Left: Capture 15 [100%] [22.50dB] [off]
  Front Right: Capture 15 [100%] [22.50dB] [off]

So. volume 100%, but both channels are off!
May, You have an idea how to turn it on?

> > Simple mixer control 'Digital',0
> >   Capabilities: cvolume penum
> >   Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
> >   Limits: Capture 0 - 120
> >   Front Left: Capture 120 [100%] [30.00dB]
> >   Front Right: Capture 120 [100%] [30.00dB]
> > Simple mixer control 'Input Source',0
> >   Capabilities: cenum
> >   Items: 'Front Mic' 'Rear Mic' 'Line'
> >   Item0: 'Rear Mic'
> > Simple mixer control 'Mux',0
> >   Capabilities: cvolume penum
> >   Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
> >   Limits: Capture 0 - 4
> >   Front Left: Capture 4 [100%] [40.00dB]
> >   Front Right: Capture 4 [100%] [40.00dB]
>
> For these ones there's no info about if they're on/off.

And I have no idea what it means. Just have turned on everything.

> > Yet, no sound from the mic.
> >
> >> arecord -d 10 /tmp/mic.wav
> >
> > This command hangs - I think it can not use/open mic. device if any.
>
> Mmm... that's curious. If the mic is not detected (not your case) or
> not enabled (this seems to be your problem) I would have expected an
> error from arecord but not to hang :-?
>
> While Googling around, I found this:
>
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture#No_Microphone_Input
>
> You can try what it says, that is:
>
> ***
> Many Dell laptops need "-dmic" to be appended to the model name
> in /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf:
>
> options snd-hda-intel model=dell-m6-dmic
> ***

I did try so and rebooted. Result is no mic and some errors at boot
time - but I have sound, still.

By the way, extra channels gone. - I tried then different parameters
for ALSA modules and restarted alsa-utils each time - but it did not
appear. So, I suppose at boot time something else changes.

> Yes, not very orthodox, but you seem to have a "new" digital mic
> detected, so who knows... Also, take a look into ALSA debigging tips
> for recording:
>
> http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/SoundcardTesting

Alright. Thank You for Your time and answers, Camaleón.

I will read those and give a try. If no more ideas, I think we can
finish here.

Sthu.