Re: Microphone does not work on wheezy laptop.

On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 21:24:08 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

(removing some stuff)

>> > Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
>> >   Capabilities: cvolume cswitch penum
>> >   Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right Limits: Capture 0 - 15
>> >   Front Left: Capture 15 [100%] [22.50dB] [off] Front Right: Capture
>> >   15 [100%] [22.50dB] [off]
>>
>> Here there's a difference with mine: I have both (front left/right)
>> turned [on].
>
> I think this is the reason. - I have turned all to maximum and unmutted
> in ALSA mixer (capture screen), whereas amixer still shows.
>
> Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
>   Capabilities: cvolume cswitch penum
>   Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right Limits: Capture 0 - 15
>   Front Left: Capture 15 [100%] [22.50dB] [off] Front Right: Capture 15
>   [100%] [22.50dB] [off]
>
> So. volume 100%, but both channels are off! May, You have an idea how to
> turn it on?

(...)

I don't know how to engage your Capture ports *but* I can tell you how I
can turn off mines on the fly: by opening the GNOME applet sound mixer
and moving the "Microphone" slide to "Off" :-)

So I guess that there has to be a tool to do this from command line. Let
me do some search... got it:

amixer set Capture cap → will toggle on Capture ports (L/R)
amixer set Capture nocap → will toggle off Capture ports (L/R)

>> options snd-hda-intel model=dell-m6-dmic
>
> I did try so and rebooted. Result is no mic and some errors at boot time
> - but I have sound, still.
>
> By the way, extra channels gone. - I tried then different parameters for
> ALSA modules and restarted alsa-utils each time - but it did not appear.
> So, I suppose at boot time something else changes.

Okay, then you can leave the alsa configuration file untouched as it was
by default as this seems not to be the problem here.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón