Re: How to get Bell Canada 3G USB network up?

On 06/13/2011 11:58 PM, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> On 14/06/11 06:16, Wayne Topa wrote:
>>

>>> I am using a USB modem from AT&T which is supported by the Debian kernel
>>> so I have held off replying to this thread.  If it would help any, I can
>>> show all the files Scott mentioned if you want.  I don't want to clutter
>>> this thread unnecessarily though if they would not help.
>>

>> I forgot to mention it is also a Novatel but a usbconnect Mercury model.
>>>
>>> Wayne
>>>

> Hi Wayne,
>          I haven't had a look at the Debian wiki this week - but it
> improves every time I do. Maybe we should be adding this to
> http://wiki.debian.org/Modem and http://wiki.debian.org/PPP
>
> So much of what is on the web is outright incorrect or only applicable
> in limited circumstances.
>
> A list of modem models by manufacturer and the corresponding AT commands
> (esp. disable autorun fakecd) would be brilliant.
>
> Even better would be a tool that could be used to non-destructively find
> out the undocumented AT commands for different modems - I've seen some
> evidence a similar tool exists for another, irrelevant for my purposes, OS.
>
> Also on my wish list would be some simple documentation on Network
> manager for KDE (probably under my nose already).
>
> Cheers

I guess the wiki is a bit behind.  I have been using my Novatel
Usbconnect Mercury modem for over 2 years now and it is not included in
the list.(?)  The Sierra driver has been in the kernel since 2.6.32 IIRC.

I was able to find the information on how to connect with it on the
Sierra wireless site.  They supplied a script that set up all the PPP
files and the driver.  That was before it, the driver, was included in
the kernel.

I am not in an 3G area (that is what an ATT tech says) but I do get 3G
connections 'sometimes' but mostly connect at ~20kbs.  Nor good but
better then the 2kbs phone line performance here in the boondocks.

Wayne