Re: How to get Bell Canada 3G USB network up?

On 12/06/11 08:24, Christian Jaeger wrote:
> 2011/6/11 Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com>:
>> On 12/06/11 04:19, Christian Jaeger wrote:
>> <snipped>
>>> * after the mode switch runs, the modem LED is blinking in blue
>>

>> UMTS
>
> Well, as I said, as long as it's blinking, it isn't connected, at
> least as far as the computer is concerned. Of course the modem itself
> might already connect to the base stations and the color might already
> mean something at that point.

Doesn't necessarily mean an active connection - just that, allegedly,
the service is available.

>>> orange,
>>
>> Yellow OR flashing Red (sorry Orange is not an option!)
>
> I don't think I've ever seen it red (and never flashing, when it was
> connected).
>
> I wouldn't vow having seen orange, especially since the light mixing
> in the LED isn't perfect (so depending on angle the yellow is looking
> somewhat orange anyway) and color changes sometimes happen quickly. I
> thought it was at least 4 colors aside blue, but so maybe it's just
> yellow, purple/violet and green.

Sorry, I'm using the colours claimed by Bell - I've quoted all the
colours it's supposed to display. Changing protocols will give the
appearance of intermediate colours as it flicks between leds.

>>> yellow
>>
>> HSDPA (again)
>
> Well the funny thing is that nm always shows UMTS during the first
> seconds then usually HSPA (/HSUPA/HSDPA) afterwards, but the color
> change from the modem happens independently: it usually changes from
> blue to yellow as soon as there is somewhat intense traffic (of
> course, changing to HS*PA from UMTS makes sense for that), which can
> be like 5 seconds after connecting already, and still nm only shows
> the change to HSPA 15 seconds afterwards.

Are you in a marginal signal area?

>>> or purple
>>
>> well it's *supposed* to be Violet, and it flashes
>> EDGE
>
> Nah, it doesn't flash when in purple/violet color. Usually that color
> is only somewhat shortlived, though, like a couple seconds between
> yellow and blue(?) phases, but IIRC I've seen it stay for longer
> periods at purple, too, and it never flashed.

You *don't* want EDGE (it's about 3-4 times GPRS == 4 strings, 8 tin cans)

>> Wikipedia will give you a nice explanation of the various protocols.
>
> (Yep, I've read about them in the past.)
>
> How do you know about the color codes?

I collect things. Manuals, documentation, tin cans....

>> I'd suggest you give the device no choice eg.force it to only connect
>> UMTS using the AT commands.
>
> Good point; nm only allows to downgrade to "2G(GPRS/EDGE)" from the
> GUI (iirc I tried that and it didn't work, I guess my data-only
> contract is 3G only), so I guess I'll have to use another tool like
> minicom to inject the AT commands from a script called by a udev hook.

Gotta watch that - in my country the slower the service the steeper the
charge (inconvience is a luxury)

>> <snipped to save electrons, and Ralf's sanity>
>
> (Ralf?)
>
> Hm, so, which AT commands?
>
> I've not been successful searching for 'novatel "at commands"' and similar.
>

>> Is that a Novatel U950??
>> The vendor code should be 0x1410 - what are the product codes please?
>
> Novatel MC998D/U998,
> before usb mode switching: 1410:5010,
> afterwards: 1410:7030
>
>> If so I suspect it's actually a rebadged Ovation MC950D using the
>> Qualcomm MSM7200 chipset.
>> If so the following will probably work for you
>> (should it break you may keep both pieces)
>> ATEI (get OK response)
>> AT$AUTOINSTALL=0
>
> tie:~# screen /dev/ttyUSB1
> AT
> OK
> ATEI
> Manufacturer: Novatel Wireless Incorporated
> Model: Ovation MC998D

Not what I thought ^
I'll have to have dig and see if I have manual for that - from memory
it's less a USBstick and more a USBmouse - bout the size of a pack of cards.

Does AT? give you a list of commands.

> Revision: 1.16.12.01-02  [2010-05-12 16:23:18]
> IMEI: 012067000784103
> +GCAP: +CGSM,+DS,+ES
>
> OK
> AT$AUTOINSTALL=0
> ERROR
>
> Same with screen /dev/ttyUSB3 (whereas screen /dev/ttyUSB{0,2,4}
> wouldn't output anything for "AT").
>
> Christian.

cat /dev/ttyUSB0 should give you signal strength and available protocols.

I'll be back later today - I'll have a dig for the command set and check
for firmware updates then, I'm pretty sure SaskTel have the same modem.
Do you have a verbose ppp log somewhere?

Cheers

--
The world is like a ride in an amusement park.
And when you choose to go on it you think it's real because that's how