Re: How to get Bell Canada 3G USB network up?

On 13/06/11 15:44, Christian Jaeger wrote:
>> I was going off the Canonical string in the nm.log. Given that they
>> (sic) don't maintain the Debian package.
>> The Debian package is maintained by Didier Raboud, who if memory serves
>> me correctly is also the upstream developer.
>
> The message is "Loaded plugin ifupdown: (C) 2008 Canonical Ltd.", and
> "Loaded plugin keyfile: (c) 2007 - 2008 Red Hat, Inc."; that only
> means they developed the upstream code (and only of these plugins) and
> does not imply that they created the packages.

My mistake. Somehow I confused usb-modeswitch with... well, other
things. I shall have another coffee. :-/

> (There are no mentions of Didier Raboud in the source code of the
> network-manager and modemmanager packages, although there are almost
> no mentions of individual developers anyway, it's all Novell, Red Hat,
> Canonical, Free Software Foundation, and a couple other companies like
> Ericsson, Samsung. Michael Biebl is current maintainer of both
> packages in Debian.)

Yes. I just looked it up through Debian package search (Unity).

<snipped>
Note: shouldn't need to supply your ISPs APN - the modem should have,
and supply that when it connects.

Try this:-
Create the following files:-
/etc/ppp/peers/Bell
/etc/chatscripts/Bell

The next one is tricky as I don't know which /dev/ttyUSB* is the modem's
data port... so I suggest you try them all.
First list them:-
$ ls /dev/ttyUSB*
I suspect you'll find 4 - 5 ports created (if the right module is
loaded, but I digress).
Try /dev/ttyUSB4 first, then 2, then 0, then 1, then 3.

for /etc/peers/Bell the contents are (copy and paste between the lines):-
=============
hide-password
noauth
connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/chatscripts/Bell"
debug
#the following line is where to try different ports
/dev/ttyUSB4
115200
defaultroute
noipdefault
user "a"
ipparam Bell
persist
usepeerdns
============

for /etc/chatscripts/Bell the contents are:-
=============
#leave the following line commented for the time being.
#REPORT CONNECT
ABORT BUSY ABORT 'NO CARRIER' ABORT VOICE ABORT 'NO DIALTONE' ABORT 'NO
DIAL TONE' ABORT 'NO ANSWER' ABO$
'' ATZ
OK-AT-OK "ATDT*99#"
CONNECT \d\c
============

edit /etc/ppp/options and ensure that the line "noauth" is uncommented

Make sure you are in the dip group
$ groups | grep dip

Then try to connect:-
$ pon Bell

Then please run the following commands and save the results to the next
post:-
$ lsusb | grep 1410:7030 | grep Novatel
$ lsmod | grep option
$ lsmod | grep serial
$ dmesg | tail -n 20
$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
# ifconfig

If you manage to connect... use the following to disconnect:-
$ poff Bell

Cheers

--
We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.
 ~ Bill Hicks