Re: How to get Bell Canada 3G USB network up?

On 12/06/11 11:12, Christian Jaeger wrote:
>> Are you in a marginal signal area?
>
> No (rarely, and not now).
>
>> You *don't* want EDGE
>
> (I guess so; also, I think 2G isn't even supported by my contract at all.)

<snipped>

>> cat /dev/ttyUSB0 should give you signal strength and available protocols.
>
> # It didn't output anything while the connection was down (just
> block), then I upped the connection, still nothing, but then when it
> went down 20(-30) seconds later,

That is the expected behaviour.

> this:
>
> NO CARRIER

That  ^ makes sense given the scenario you are describing

> $CNTI: 0, HSPA+
>
> OK
>
> # it goes on after a while, interestingly while in blinking mode

**********************************
What colour is the blinking light?

> (aka no (working) connection up anymore):
>
> +CSQ: 12,99
>
> OK
>
> $CNTI: 0, HSPA+
>
> OK
>
> +CREG: 1,2D84,3F80
>
> +CGREG: 1,2D84,3F80
>
> +CSQ: 12,99

That is your signal quality. And no - I can't translate it for you.

> OK
>
> $CNTI: 0, HSPA+
>
> OK

>> I'll be back later today - I'll have a dig for the command set and check
>> for firmware updates then, I'm pretty sure SaskTel have the same modem.
>> Do you have a verbose ppp log somewhere?
>
> I've put the outputs of
>
> # modem-manager --debug 2>&1 |log-timestamp -H > mm.log
> # NM_PPP_DEBUG=1 /usr/sbin/NetworkManager --no-daemon 2>&1
> |log-timestamp -H > nm.log

(Note I've never managed to get nm to do anything useful under KDE, even
though I spent more that 3 minutes trying...)

> here:
>
> http://christianjaeger.ch/scratch/bell_novatel/

Thank you.

[reads nm.log - sees word "Canonical" - goes into catatonic state]

Ahhh Ubuntu - I have heard tell of this thing. I swear I have never
touched one.
Normally I go into a frothing fury at the assumption that Debian has
anything to do with Ubuntu.... however I shall do my best to finish what
I started.
Disclaimer - The sheep farmer has nothing to do with things made by wool
mills. But I digress.

> (There you could also find the firmware upgrader that I recently used
> on my modem to no avail.)
Have you successfully managed to use the same modem since failing to
upgrade?

> I appreciate your help.
>
> Christian.

I have asked two questions above - look for the ******** lines.
Apologies if you've already answered them elsewhere.
If you could bear with me I'll do a bit more reading of those logs and
when I've read your answers I'll formulate a process for isolation
testing this problem.

Cheers

--
It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want.
It's only a choice.