Re: How to get Bell Canada 3G USB network up?

On 12/06/11 04:19, Christian Jaeger wrote:
<snipped>
> * after the mode switch runs, the modem LED is blinking in blue

UMTS

> (sometimes it inserts a lone blink in green between the blue ones, no
> idea what it means)

changing connection protocol

> * when the modem is connected, the modem LED is lighting up in constant blue

Blue? or Cyan? HSUPA

> * when there has been traffic, the modem LED color changes to green,

(flashing) GPRS

> orange,

Yellow OR flashing Red (sorry Orange is not an option!)

Yellow is HSDPA

flashing Red is a SIM error - remove the SIM card - clean contacts with
a soft white pencil eraser, reinsert (a tiny fold of paper can be
inserted behind the SIM if it requires more pressure against the contacts)

> yellow

HSDPA (again)

> or purple

well it's *supposed* to be Violet, and it flashes
EDGE

>(I don't know what these colors mean,

Yes you do! Now. :-D
Wikipedia will give you a nice explanation of the various protocols.
I'd suggest you give the device no choice eg.force it to only connect
UMTS using the AT commands.

<snipped to save electrons, and Ralf's sanity>

Is that a Novatel U950??
The vendor code should be 0x1410 - what are the product codes please?
If so I suspect it's actually a rebadged Ovation MC950D using the
Qualcomm MSM7200 chipset.
If so the following will probably work for you
(should it break you may keep both pieces)
ATEI (get OK response)
AT$AUTOINSTALL=0
No longer need modeswitch. :-) It's only useful once anyway, and usually
only on Mac or Windoof, it's rare to see Linux drives on the virtual cd
(Alcatel have them, they just don't work).

I normally let that irritating fake cd mount just once (long enough to
copy the software somewhere safe should I ever need it) - then disable
the bl$%dy thing.

If any one know the AT command set for Alcatel I'd love to hear it -
I've never managed to figure out the ZCDRUN or equiv for them.

--
Tuttle? His name's Buttle.
There must be some mistake.

Terry Gilliam's "Brazil"