Re: How to get Bell Canada 3G USB network up?

I've now downloaded the source of the modemmanager package, both
stable and testing; it doesn't really explain anything either:

The only references to $CNTI are in plugins/mm-modem-novatel-gsm.c
(there are references to *CNTI in replugins/mm-modem-sierra-gsm.c),
and it's this code that emits the $CNTI=0:

static void
get_access_technology (MMGenericGsm *modem,
                       MMModemUIntFn callback,
                       gpointer user_data)
{
    MMAtSerialPort *port;
    MMCallbackInfo *info;

    info = mm_callback_info_uint_new (MM_MODEM (modem), callback, user_data);

    port = mm_generic_gsm_get_best_at_port (modem, &info->error);
    if (!port) {
        mm_callback_info_schedule (info);
        return;
    }

    mm_at_serial_port_queue_command (port, "$CNTI=0", 3,
get_act_request_done, info);
}

I wanted to experiment with removing that command, but first I
installed the unmodified version from testing (recompiled for
Squeeze). Now in the last couple attempts the modem hasn't crashed
anymore, I don't know yet whether that's just because I'm lucky or the
newer version fixes the issue, I'll tell after more testing (different
time of day etc.). (FWIW, I've put up the logs of two successful
connection attempts at
http://christianjaeger.ch/scratch/bell_novatel/mm_testing/ .)

Christian.