Re: Community hostility [Was Recent spam increase]

Mike McCarty wrote:

> Kent West wrote:
>
>> Mike McCarty wrote:
>>
>>> If people around here (and elsewhere) would quit treating Linux/GNU
>>> project as if it were a religion, a political statement, a way to
>>> change the world paradigm, a poke in the eye at the mythically evil
>>> MicroSoft Empire, an end to capitalism as we know it, and a triumph
>>> of the downtrodden masses over the evil rich in general, and treat it
>>> as an Operating System and associated Support Programs we'd ALL
>>> be better off.
>>

>> I chose Debian years ago, and continue to do so, for its
>> philosophical value as an OS, not for its technical value as an OS.
>> So I'm not quite sure your statement here is accurate.
>

> IMO, an OS does not have a philosophical value. It is a computer
> program.
>
> OTOH...
>
> The considerations which entered into your choice to use
> an OS are a personal matter, and one which may be a valid
> topic for discussion here, as to the merits of one
> or other distro or OS. Certainly so. Especially to someone
> who is still trying to make a decision about whether to
> use Linux, or to use a particular distro, or is just curious.
> But hate mail is not attractive, nor is religious fanaticism
> about an OS or  distro, which is what I was trying to address.
> I guess I didn't make that clear.
>
> E.g., if one wants to discuss the merits of Linux vs. Windows,
> then "I think you should use Linux because it will make Bill
> Gates MAD! I want Microsoft to DIE! As long as you continue to
> use Microsoft products, you are playing into their hands! We
> need to KILL the EVIL EMPIRE NOW!" isn't a message which is good
> for Linux, good for Debian, or good for the GNU project.
>
> One which might be good, would be "I chose to use Linux, partly
> so that there would be competition with the Microsoft products. I think
> that the competition will be good for consumers, and probably make
> the Microsoft product better, as well. I also like the idea that
> I can get the source to the programs. If I use the Microsoft products,
> and they decide to drop support, then I have no recourse. With
> open source, I can continue to do my own support, or contract for
> it, if need be."
>
> Perhaps that illustrates what I'm talking about.
>
> I once commented here that I loaded Linux on my machine because I
> landed a software development/support contract, and was requested
> by my employer to do so. I was told, in very bold, explicit terms,
> that people like me, who loaded Linux for MERCENARY reasons (all
> caps were used as you see here) were not welcome here, and I should
> leave. So I pretty much did. I had had enough.
>
> Instead of being happy that Linux was making inroads into some
> commercial areas, and expanding its influence, the fellow was incensed
> that anyone would actually make any money from loading Linux. He acted
> as if he hoped that Linux never displaced any Microsoft installations at
> [...]

To be honest, Mike and all others, the hostility in this list was worse
in the past. I felt some improvement in this respect. I don't follow
other linux lists to be able to compare, but in forums certainly there
are competition and hostility, so I don't think debian is a special case
of hostility.