Re: Installing modem.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kent West" <westk@acu.edu>
To: "debian-user" <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Friday, November 14, 2003 08:45
Subject: Re: Installing modem.

> Hoyt Bailey wrote:
>
> >I did some more research this morning and the above isnt accurate.  While
it
> >is what I experienced in KDE login as me and su to root.  I ran
minicom -s
> >on the command line, as root, after reading the rather extensive manual
> >(much more than one page).  I was able to setup the modem dont know if it
is
> >right though.  After exiting the setup I was in a screen that said, as
the
> >last line, cntl A-Z for help.  No matter what I did it was not possible
> >even move the cursor.  Cntl C or D also didnt do anything.  Finally reset
> >the system to get out.  I did reissue the setserial command as listed and
it
> >appeared to work.  That probable means that KDE is bad.  Could this be
> >happening because most of these programs were installed before the
"nvidia"
> >driver was installed?
> >Regards;
> >Hoyt
> >

> The modem is totally unrelated to the video driver.
> KPPP may not be working, but that's a very small part of KDE, so it would
be inaccurate to say that KDE is bad.

> When in minicom, if it's talking properly to the modem, you should be able
to enter a command like:
> ATZ
> and your modem will respond with something like
> OK
> or
> READY
>
> If you don't get such a response, something is still wrong with your
modem/configuration.

> I wish I could give you more information, but I'm not that familiar with
modems. I don't like dealing with modems, especially ones that aren't
external on COM1 or COM2, and so avoid them whenever I can. All I can
suggest is keep trying.

> --
> Kent
>

> --
> Kent West (westk@acu.edu)

Ok thanks for trying.  I'm not convinced that the hang up of minicom is
unrelated yet.
Regards;
Hoyt