Re: Installing modem.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kent West" <westk@acu.edu>
To: "debian-user" <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2003 10:01
Subject: Re: Installing modem.

> Hoyt Bailey wrote:
>
> >From: "Kent West" <westk@acu.edu>
> >

> >>So all you need to do is create a similar file for ttyS4. This command
> >>should do it:
> >>MAKEDEV -v ttyS4
> >>

> >Already tryed that it created /dev/ttyS4 but dosent change the message
> >(dmesg) in any way I noticed.  Also will not respond to echo "ATDT<phone
#>

> >>/dev/ttyS4 which it should. more specifically the screen does this:
> >>

> >Blackgold: / # echo "ATDT3633070" > /dev/ttyS4
> >Blackgold: / #
> >Also there is no sound from the modem and there always is when it dials
this
> >number untill connection is confirmed.  I blame this action on "Redundant
> >entry "(etc.).  I suspect the pci-table is in the kernel but have no
> >confidence that reinstalling everything would alter the results.  There
is
> >likely something I am doeing wrong or incorrectly at least but I dont
have a
> >clue.
> >

> I thought that echoing a command to the device file was a good test, but
> someone else in this thread with the same modem as you says this test
> does not work. So ignore this test and its results. Instead, try minicom.

I tried minicom as I remember I reported the results the first time they
were the same this time.  I started KDE and selected the terminal read the
man page for minicom not much help there.  issued su and input the password.
input minicom -c, got 1/2 screen (top to bottom full 1/2 wide)with a colored
panel at the bottom. The only thing that worked was right clicking on the
items at the bottom (they showed menus that wouldnt do anything). Finally
reset and tryed again this time minicom -s and got the same 1/2 screen B/W
with options A thru F.  Typing a thru f resulted in going to that option on
screen. Changing the option had no effect. There was also a box below that I
couldnt get into that had some options including Exit. Could not do anything
except reset.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/archive/18/2003/08/4/86297

> >nonrusteScenario:
> >I purchased a US Robotics 56K* V.92 Performance Pro Modem because they
advertised support for Linux:

Exactly my reason.

> >usr.com/products/home/home-product.asp?sku=USR5610B
> >
> >I followed the advice of the author of the following page when my modem
was not detected with Yast2:

Is Yast2 the program that detects hardware?

> >webpronews.com/wpn-22-20030623SettingUpaLinuxModem.html
> >
> >The command 'cat /proc/pci' listed my modem with hardware address &
> >IRQ number. When I tried the setserial command I got an error of
> >'Address in use'. Though I could not get a peep out of my modem with
> >'echo "atdt5555555" > /dev/ttySX' (I've tried many ttySX including
> >'ttyS04' which is echoed across my monitor upon bootup with the
> >hardware address of the modem.
> >
> >I tried installing the RPM
> >(usr.com/support/product-template.asp?prod=5610b) from US Robotics.
> >That gave me a funky error. I didn't write it down, though tried to
> >re-install the RPM to recreate error, but got an error stating that the
> >RPM was already installed and I'm yet too ignorant to know how to
> >resolve that.
> >

> >fancypiper:
>
> >Make sure that plug-n-pray is disabled in your bios as it can screw up
your settings.

Couldnt find an entry in BIOS for plug-n-pray or for plug-n-play either.
Isnt that a Windows function?

> >Here is how I configured my modem (below modem links)
> >
> ># Configuring a real hardware pci modem
> >
> >To configure a pci modem, open an x terminal and su - to the root
>
> >$ su -
> >Password:
> >
> ># cat /proc/pci
>
> >Look for your modem in the returned list. Look for something similar to
mine:

> >Bus  2, device   2, function  0:
> >Communication controller: PCI device 151f:0000 (TOPIC SEMICONDUCTOR Corp)
(rev 0).
> >IRQ 5.
> >I/O at 0xc400 [0xc407].

My system returned the following:
Bus 0, device 11, Function 0
Serial Controller: US Robotics/3Com 56K FaxModom Model 5610 (rev 1)
IRQ 19
Master capabile, latency=32
I/O at 0xd000 [0xd007]

> >With this info, I use the setserial
> >command:
>
> ># setserial /dev/ttyS0 irq 5 port 0xc400 uart 16550a
----# setserial /dev/ttyS3 irq 19 port 0xd000 uart 16550a
bash: setserial command not found.
It would appear that there is a package I dont have installed.  Does anyone
know what the package would be?  Would that package also contain minicom?

> >Then I test the modem with the internet
> >connection wizard and it works.

?What is the internet connection wizard?

> --
Regards;
Hoyt