Installing modem.

I recieved my USR5610B and replaced the Intel winmodem.  Turned on the
computer and it dialed the ISP in Windows.  So I said hey this is going to
be easy.  Went to U.S. Robitics website and no debian driver only RH,
Mandrake, & SUSE.  Ok I can do rpm.  downloaded rpm driver put it on a CD
and booted debian.  Did ^alt F1 read man rpm & man alien.  No problem
mounted CD issued alien -i </cdrom/<pkgname> ran ok w/no errors.  Checked
for files 3commdn and found the following:
/usr/share/doc/3commdn
/usr/share/doc/3commdn/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/3commdn/copyright
/usr/doc/3commdn
/usr/dpkg/info/3commdn/.postinst
/usr/dpkg/info/3commdn/.list
/usr/dpkg/info/3commdn/.prerm
/usr/dpkg/info/3commdn/.conffiles
/usr/dpkg/info/3commdn/.md5sums
Read the copyright file and there is a statement (Not Installed).  Went back
to X & read the log XFree86 no indication of modem. Tryed to start
connection -No-.  Any Suggestions?
Regards;
Hoyt