Re: Installing modem.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kent West" <westk@acu.edu>
To: "debian-user" <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2003 21:16
Subject: Re: Installing modem.

> Hoyt Bailey wrote:

Finally
> > reset and tryed again this time minicom -s and got the same 1/2 screen
B/W
> > with options A thru F.  Typing a thru f resulted in going to that option
on
> > screen. Changing the option had no effect. There was also a box below
that I
> > couldnt get into that had some options including Exit. Could not do
anything
> > except reset.
> >

> That doesn't sound like the minicom I just looked at, but then I'm
> running unstable.

> > your settings.
> >

> > Couldnt find an entry in BIOS for plug-n-pray or for plug-n-play either.
> > Isnt that a Windows function?
>
> No; well, yes. Sort of. Not really. No. Definitely no.
>
> It's a name popularized by Microsoft (perhaps invented by MS) that
> simply refers to the ability of the operating system (Windows in the
> case of MS) to set the hardware resources, such as COM ports and IRQ
> settings, etc, automagically for your various hardware. It was a much
> bigger deal in the days before PCI devices became popular. Nowadays the
> PCI subsystem takes care of PnP, for the most part. Still, many BIOSes
> have the option to turn the feature on or off. If the BIOS is told that
> there is a PnP OS, then the BIOS does just the minimal setup necessary
> and lets the OS do the rest. IF the BIOS is told that there is not a PnP
> OS, then the BIOS does all the hardware setup. It has been my experience
> that it's best to let the BIOS handle things, even if you have a
> Plug-n-Play-capable OS.

> > My system returned the following:
> > Bus 0, device 11, Function 0
> > Serial Controller: US Robotics/3Com 56K FaxModom Model 5610 (rev 1)
> > IRQ 19
> > Master capabile, latency=32
> > I/O at 0xd000 [0xd007]

> > ----# setserial /dev/ttyS3 irq 19 port 0xd000 uart 16550a
> > bash: setserial command not found.
> > It would appear that there is a package I dont have installed.  Does
anyone
> > know what the package would be?  Would that package also contain
minicom?

> setserial
> They are separate packages. See "apt-cache show setserial" and
> "apt-cache show minicom".
>
> I though setserial is part of the base OS and is installed
> automatically. I guess not.

> > ?What is the internet connection wizard?
>
> It's some utility in whatever distro he was using. For you, you'd use
> KPPP or pppconfig, etc.
>
> --
> Kent

I did some more research this morning and the above isnt accurate.  While it
is what I experienced in KDE login as me and su to root.  I ran minicom -s
on the command line, as root, after reading the rather extensive manual
(much more than one page).  I was able to setup the modem dont know if it is
right though.  After exiting the setup I was in a screen that said, as the
last line, cntl A-Z for help.  No matter what I did it was not possible to
even move the cursor.  Cntl C or D also didnt do anything.  Finally reset
the system to get out.  I did reissue the setserial command as listed and it
appeared to work.  That probable means that KDE is bad.  Could this be
happening because most of these programs were installed before the "nvidia"
driver was installed?
Regards;
Hoyt