Re: Installing modem.

Hoyt Bailey wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "oskar nl" <mydebianacount@NOSPAMhotmail.com>

Hoyt Bailey wrote:

I recieved my USR5610B and replaced the Intel winmodem.

From U.S. Robotic Installation guide

pag 4:
Linux 2.3 and Higher Users NOTE: All 2.3 and higher Linux kernels
contain the U.S. Robotics Linux modem drivers. Installation of the modem
under this kernel is fully automatic provided your kernel has the Plug
and Play module enabled (default).

BTW wich kernel you use?:

The kernel is 2.4.18bf2.4. and I have to accept the fact that the modem is
probably installed, but twice  it seems.

I don't understand what you mean by this. It doesn't make sense. The modem, a physical device that is singular in nature, can only be installed once, on a single physical PCI slot.

 I just rm /dev/ttyS3 & ttyS4.
Then I confirmed that they both gone. Then form the /dev directory I ran
MAKEDEV -v update, this restored /dev/ttyS3.

No harm done here; a good effort at troubleshooting.

 OK ttyS3 is where the modem
should be.  I had hope went and checked dmesg and there was ttyS0, ttyS1,
ttyS2 and ttyS4.

I believe I understand that you're saying that dmesg reports the existence of devices on /dev/ttyS0, /dev/ttyS1, and /dev/ttyS4.

(In an earlier message I apparently mistyped that your modem is on /dev/ttyS3 -- but if I understand what you're saying above, it's on /dev/ttyS4 - probably - it's hard to say without the relevant portions of dmesg's output.)

Confirmed that /dev/ttyS4 does not exist. ?How do you
delete something that dosent exist?

Why do you want to delete /dev/ttyS4? Perhaps to "start over", like you did above with the other four standard ports? If it's not there, don't worry about deleting it.

Perhaps what you need to worry about is creating it.

Try "ls -l /dev/ttyS*"; you should get something like this:
crw-rw----    1 root     dialout    4,  64 May 12  2001 /dev/ttyS0
crw-rw----    1 root     dialout    4,  65 May 12  2001 /dev/ttyS1
crw-rw----    1 root     dialout    4,  66 May 12  2001 /dev/ttyS2
crw-rw----    1 root     dialout    4,  67 May 12  2001 /dev/ttyS3

If not, you might want to do:
	MAKEDEV -v generic
to create generic devices, including the four serial ports.

So all you need to do is create a similar file for ttyS4. This command should do it:
	MAKEDEV -v ttyS4

Now see if your modem works.

I am attaching dmesg in case anyone can figure out how to fix this.

Unless I'm missing something, dmesg was not attached.

--
Kent