Re: Installing modem.

On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 05:41:52PM -0600, Hoyt Bailey wrote:
> On Thursday, November 13, 2003 10:01, Kent West wrote:
> > I thought that echoing a command to the device file was a good test, but
> > someone else in this thread with the same modem as you says this test
> > does not work. So ignore this test and its results. Instead, try minicom.
>
> I tried minicom as I remember I reported the results the first time they
> were the same this time.  I started KDE and selected the terminal read the
> man page for minicom not much help there.  issued su and input the password.
> input minicom -c, got 1/2 screen (top to bottom full 1/2 wide)with a colored
> panel at the bottom. The only thing that worked was right clicking on the
> items at the bottom (they showed menus that wouldnt do anything). Finally
> reset and tryed again this time minicom -s and got the same 1/2 screen B/W
> with options A thru F.  Typing a thru f resulted in going to that option on
> screen. Changing the option had no effect. There was also a box below that I
> couldnt get into that had some options including Exit. Could not do anything
> except reset.

Try switching to a text console and running minicom from there.

> > >With this info, I use the setserial
> > >command:
> >
> > ># setserial /dev/ttyS0 irq 5 port 0xc400 uart 16550a
> ----# setserial /dev/ttyS3 irq 19 port 0xd000 uart 16550a
> bash: setserial command not found.
> It would appear that there is a package I dont have installed.  Does anyone
> know what the package would be?

It's called... tadaa... setserial

apt-get install setserial

> Would that package also contain minicom?

No, minicom's a separate package which you appear to have installed
already.

> > >Then I test the modem with the internet
> > >connection wizard and it works.
>
> ?What is the internet connection wizard?

He's a little bloke with a pointy hat and a staff who does things like
flipping bits in your telco's computer so as to enable ADSL on your
phone line without the billing department knowing about it. I'd rather
like to meet him.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons