Re: Installing modem.

Hoyt Bailey wrote:

From: "Kent West" <westk@acu.edu>
So all you need to do is create a similar file for ttyS4. This command
should do it:
MAKEDEV -v ttyS4

Already tryed that it created /dev/ttyS4 but dosent change the message
(dmesg) in any way I noticed.  Also will not respond to echo "ATDT<phone #>
/dev/ttyS4 which it should. more specifically the screen does this:
Blackgold: / # echo "ATDT3633070" > /dev/ttyS4
Blackgold: / #
Also there is no sound from the modem and there always is when it dials this
number untill connection is confirmed.  I blame this action on "Redundant
entry "(etc.).  I suspect the pci-table is in the kernel but have no
confidence that reinstalling everything would alter the results.  There is
likely something I am doeing wrong or incorrectly at least but I dont have a
clue.

I thought that echoing a command to the device file was a good test, but someone else in this thread with the same modem as you says this test does not work. So ignore this test and its results. Instead, try minicom.

Also, I found this information at: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/archive/18/2003/08/4/86297

nonrusteScenario: I purchased a US Robotics 56K* V.92 Performance Pro Modem because they advertised support for Linux:

usr.com/products/home/home-product.asp?sku=USR5610B

I followed the advice of the author of the following page when my modem was not detected with Yast2:

webpronews.com/wpn-22-20030623SettingUpaLinuxModem.html

The command 'cat /proc/pci' listed my modem with hardware address &
IRQ number. When I tried the setserial command I got an error of
'Address in use'. Though I could not get a peep out of my modem with
'echo "atdt5555555" > /dev/ttySX' (I've tried many ttySX including
'ttyS04' which is echoed across my monitor upon bootup with the
hardware address of the modem.

I tried installing the RPM
(usr.com/support/product-template.asp?prod=5610b) from US Robotics.
That gave me a funky error. I didn't write it down, though tried to
re-install the RPM to recreate error, but got an error stating that the
RPM was already installed and I'm yet too ignorant to know how to
resolve that.

fancypiper:

Make sure that plug-n-pray is disabled in your bios as it can screw up your settings.

Here is how I configured my modem (below modem links)

# Configuring a real hardware pci modem

To configure a pci modem, open an x terminal and su - to the root

$ su -
Password:
# cat /proc/pci

Look for your modem in the returned list. Look for something similar to mine:

Bus  2, device   2, function  0:
Communication controller: PCI device 151f:0000 (TOPIC SEMICONDUCTOR Corp) (rev 0).
IRQ 5.
I/O at 0xc400 [0xc407].

With this info, I use the setserial
command:

# setserial /dev/ttyS0 irq 5 port 0xc400 uart 16550a

Then I test the modem with the internet
connection wizard and it works.

--
Kent