Re: Installing modem.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kent West" <westk@acu.edu>
To: "debian-user" <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 21:30
Subject: Re: Installing modem.

> Hoyt Bailey wrote:

Serial driver version 5.05c (2001-07-08) with MANY_PORTS SHARE_IRQ
SERIAL_PCI enabled
Redundant entry in serial pci_table.  Please send the output of
lspci -vv, this message (12b9,1008,12b9,00d3)
and the manufacturer and name of serial board or modem board
to serial-pci-info@lists.sourceforge.net.
ttyS04 at port 0xd000 (irq = 19) is a 16550A

I dont know how else to explain the "Redundant entry in serial pci_table".
Does anyone know where that is or how to remove it?  I do know that I
removed the only entry of ttsS4 that I know about.

> >  I just rm /dev/ttyS3 & ttyS4.
> > Then I confirmed that they both gone. Then form the /dev directory I ran
> > MAKEDEV -v update, this restored /dev/ttyS3.
>
> No harm done here; a good effort at troubleshooting.
>

> >  OK ttyS3 is where the modem
> > should be.  I had hope went and checked dmesg and there was ttyS0,
ttyS1,
> > ttyS2 and ttyS4.
>
> I believe I understand that you're saying that dmesg reports the
> existence of devices on /dev/ttyS0, /dev/ttyS1, and /dev/ttyS4.
>
> (In an earlier message I apparently mistyped that your modem is on
> /dev/ttyS3 -- but if I understand what you're saying above, it's on
> /dev/ttyS4 - probably - it's hard to say without the relevant portions
> of dmesg's output.)
>

> > Confirmed that /dev/ttyS4 does not exist. ?How do you
> > delete something that dosent exist?
>
> Why do you want to delete /dev/ttyS4? Perhaps to "start over", like you
> did above with the other four standard ports? If it's not there, don't
> worry about deleting it.
>
> Perhaps what you need to worry about is creating it.
>
> Try "ls -l /dev/ttyS*"; you should get something like this:
> crw-rw----    1 root     dialout    4,  64 May 12  2001 /dev/ttyS0
> crw-rw----    1 root     dialout    4,  65 May 12  2001 /dev/ttyS1
> crw-rw----    1 root     dialout    4,  66 May 12  2001 /dev/ttyS2
> crw-rw----    1 root     dialout    4,  67 May 12  2001 /dev/ttyS3

crw-rw----    1 root     dialout    4,  64 Oct 16 09:25 /dev/ttyS0
crw-rw----    1 root     dialout    4,  65 Oct 16 09:28 /dev/ttyS1
crw-rw----    1 root     dialout    4,  66 Mar 14  2002 /dev/ttyS2
crw-rw----    1 root     dialout    4,  67 Mar 14  2002 /dev/ttyS3
-Currently.-
> If not, you might want to do:
> MAKEDEV -v generic
> to create generic devices, including the four serial ports.
>
> So all you need to do is create a similar file for ttyS4. This command
> should do it:
> MAKEDEV -v ttyS4

Already tryed that it created /dev/ttyS4 but dosent change the message
(dmesg) in any way I noticed.  Also will not respond to echo "ATDT<phone #>
> /dev/ttyS4 which it should. more specifically the screen does this:
Blackgold: / # echo "ATDT3633070" > /dev/ttyS4
Blackgold: / #
Also there is no sound from the modem and there always is when it dials this
number untill connection is confirmed.  I blame this action on "Redundant
entry "(etc.).  I suspect the pci-table is in the kernel but have no
confidence that reinstalling everything would alter the results.  There is
likely something I am doeing wrong or incorrectly at least but I dont have a
clue.

> Now see if your modem works.
>
> > I am attaching dmesg in case anyone can figure out how to fix this.
>
> Unless I'm missing something, dmesg was not attached.

It was attached on my copy of the email but it was the wrong one. The copy
that was attached was the one where I had disabled ttyS0 & 1.  I am
reattaching the correct current copy.
Regards;
Hoyt