Re: Installation tests with GRUB on GPT disks

On 05/19/2018 10:03 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
On 05/18/2018 10:16 PM, Frank Scheiner wrote:
Ok, thank you.

Ok, after testing I can confirm that at least on my T5220 a separate partition for `/boot` is not needed. I'll try to check what my oldest UltraSPARC machines
make out if it.

Yes, but as you correctly mentioned, without a separate /boot partition, there
is always the risk that the blocklist method fails if the GRUB files are put
too far at the end of the / filesystem. We should maybe forward this question
upstream.

Yeah, I just thought about figuring out by experiment if there are any limits on the older UltraSPARC machines available to me.

One thing to note is, that per default GRUB uses `quiet` in the kernel command line, so depending on the speed of a machine and/or its disk drives, it might at
first look that nothing happens after GRUB has loaded kernel and initrd although the kernel is actually booting.

I *think* the GRUB parameters are set in finish-install, but
I am not sure.

See: https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/finish-install/tree/master/finish-install.d

I had a look, but this seems to be defined elsewhere. I traced it back to the grub-ieee1275 package which creates `/etc/default/grub` in its `postinst` script. This includes the var `GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT` which defaults to "quiet" as per [1] => [2] => [3].

[1]: https://salsa.debian.org/grub-team/grub/blob/master/debian/templates.in

[2]: https://salsa.debian.org/grub-team/grub/blob/master/debian/rules#L441

[3]: https://salsa.debian.org/grub-team/grub/blob/master/debian/rules#L85

Hm, I actually don't want to divert from the defaults - although maybe the defaults sometimes might lead to irritations (no output for dozens of seconds). Few people have that much patience. ;-)

Cheers,
Frank