Re: Installation tests with GRUB on GPT disks

On 05/16/2018 08:15 PM, Frank Scheiner wrote:
> Unfortunately booting the CDROM kernel and initrd via GRUB2 over the network did not work as expected by me:
>
> After the installer started it wants to load its components from the non-existing CDROM, of course... :-(
>
> There is no command line switch for the installer (kernel) that will make it behave like a netboot installer, right?

This is expected. You cannot use the cdrom debian-installer initrd for netboot
and vice versa. If you want to perform a netboot, you have to use the initrd
for netboot which is inside the debian-installer-images tarball as found
on the FTP servers in the pool-sparc64/main/d/debian-installer subdirectory.

Since the d-i current image is outdated, use the one from here:

> https://people.debian.org/~glaubitz/debian-cd/debian-installer-images_20171204_sparc64.tar.gz

Please note that even the "NETINST" images are still CD images. Real netboot
images just require a kernel and initrd. The netboot initrd contains the
necessary network drivers and is designed to fetch udebs over the internet.

> So I wrote the image to a CDRW and started the installation from there.
>
> The partitioning worked correctly with the added snippet and created a layout that resembles the recipe without the snippet:
>> (...)
> If it creates the bios_grub "partition" on your gpt capable machine with the snippet included, it could be save for inclusion in d-i/partman-auto.

Thanks for the confirmation. I will test later as I didn't have the time yet.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz