Re: Installation tests with GRUB on GPT disks

On 05/16/2018 09:16 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
Ok, I just successfully tested this change.

Two questions left:

1. Can you test whether we can drop the /boot partition on Sun
    partition tables?

I actually don't remember if I tested such a configuration. At least d-i/grub-installer should support this now. I'll check that on my T5220 and report back.

Just a thought:

Could it happen that - depending on the size of the root FS and the amount of packages installed - the GRUB image gets installed so far away from the start of a disk - it usually gets installed at the end of an installation - that older machines with older OBP versions could have problems to access it via block lists? Are there any such limits?

If yes, a separate smaller partition for "/boot" might be required in such a case.

2. Now that we can use GRUB, what about updating the default
    partitioning scheme? Maybe one that is inspired by the layout
    used on ppc64el:

    > https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/partman-auto/tree/master/recipes-ppc64el

You want to add "$defaultignore{ }" for the "/boot" partition, so it's only active by default for installations using LVM? Maybe there are also other use cases for a separate "/boot" partition than LVM. Such a change would make it harder for people with those other use cases then.

3. GRUB installs fine now on Sun partition tables without any further ado?

For my tested configuration - t5220, atomic recipe, single disk - yes.

4. And, just to be safe: Your previous mail contained hashes
    before the partition layout lines (#). You did not actually
    have those in your atomic file, correct?

Correct, those # marks were just for "markup" and not included in the actual recipe I modified from the installer environment.

Frank