Re: Installation tests with GRUB on GPT disks

On 05/16/2018 03:03 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
Adding those recipes for partman-auto will resolve the issue.

Should we add additional recipes or better modify the existing sparc recipe?

However, we
should probably add a warning like we had for SILO which reminds users
they have to add a bios_grub partition on a GPT machine:

https://anonscm.debian.org/git/d-i/attic/silo-installer.git/tree/check.d/silo_check

Does any of the other architectures which use GRUB require a bios_grub partition?

The "default" recipes use a bios_grub partition (see e.g. [1]). It's 1 MiB in size, but I expect that when partitioned on a gpt capable system this will result in 1 MiB space at the beginning of the disk and a 1 MiB partition after it. I assume this is created automatically on gpt capable systems, because of:

```
$iflabel{ gpt }
```

I don't know if this is required for GRUB2 on i386/amd64 though, but maybe yes, so GRUB2 doesn't touch the 1 MiB space at the beginning.

[1]: https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/partman-auto/blob/master/recipes/atomic