Re: Installation tests with GRUB on GPT disks

On 05/16/2018 10:44 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
1. Can you test whether we can drop the /boot partition on Sun
     partition tables?

I actually don't remember if I tested such a configuration. At least d-i/grub-installer should support this now. I'll check that on my T5220 and report back.

Ok, thank you.

Ok, after testing I can confirm that at least on my T5220 a separate partition for `/boot` is not needed. I'll try to check what my oldest UltraSPARC machines make out if it.

So, to summarize:

1. Can you test whether adding "$iflabel { sun }" creates the
    separate /boot partition for you?

Just tested this now and yes:

```
50 500 100 ext2 $iflabel { sun } method{ format } format{ } use_filesystem{ } filesystem{ ext2 }
        mountpoint{ /boot } .
```

...creates the separate partition for `/boot` on my T5220 and:

2. Do you need "$bootable { }" for /boot to work with GRUB?

...no, the bootable flag seems to be unneeded by GRUB (or OBP), as the system booted without an issue after the installation finished.

One thing to note is, that per default GRUB uses `quiet` in the kernel command line, so depending on the speed of a machine and/or its disk drives, it might at first look that nothing happens after GRUB has loaded kernel and initrd although the kernel is actually booting.

Frank