Re: Installation tests with GRUB on GPT disks

Hi,

On 05/16/2018 01:29 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
Hi!

I have been testing the installation of GRUB in debian-installer on disks
with GPT labels. Unfortunately, that doesn't work as grub-install
complains it cannot find the filesystem for /dev/vdiska1.

Looking at the partition table with parted, it seems that the actual problem
is a corrupted GPT partition table (see below).

Since a new partition table is created by debian-installer, it shouldn't be
corrupted at this point. So, I'm wondering what problem we are running
into.

Maybe it wasn't created correctly by partman:

On [1] Eric has a ca. 7 MiB partition between 1 MiB at the beginning of the disk and the remainder of the disk. It's garbled on GitHub, so here it is reformatted:

```

Number Start  End    Size   File system Name      Flags
1      1049kB 8389kB 7340kB bios_grub   bios_grub
2      8389kB 1151MB 1143MB ext3        boot
3      1151MB 600GB  599GB  lvm
```

[1]: https://github.com/esnowberg/grub2-sparc/wiki#installation-instructions-for-sparc-t4-and-above

During my testing end of February/beginning of March this partition was needed, because otherwise the gpt label was corrupted after grub-install ran IIRC - i.e. similar to what you saw. I don't know the exact size requirements for this partition though, so just rounded up to 10 MiB which worked fine.

I submitted a patch ([2]) which adds specific recipes for gpt capable systems which add the additional 10 MiB partition. Partman than creates this partition after the first 1 MiB on the disk in question. The post also contains an alternative approach which might also work (i.e. just extending the sparc recipes).

[2]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2018/03/msg00007.html

Frank