Re: Installation tests with GRUB on GPT disks

On 05/16/2018 02:48 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
>> During my testing end of February/beginning of March this partition was needed, because otherwise the gpt label was corrupted after grub-install ran IIRC - i.e. similar to what you saw. I don't know the exact size requirements for this partition though, so just rounded up to 10 MiB which worked fine.
>
> Ah, this makes sense. I'll see whether I can add this type manually.

Ok, just adding a 10 MB bios_grub partition resolved the issue and GRUB
installed without any problems :).

root@debian:~# parted /dev/vdiska
GNU Parted 3.2
Using /dev/vdiska
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
(parted) p
Model: Unknown (unknown)
Disk /dev/vdiska: 17.2GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/8192B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags:

Number  Start   End     Size    File system     Name  Flags
 1      1049kB  10.5MB  9437kB                        bios_grub
 2      10.5MB  15.2GB  15.2GB  ext4
 3      15.2GB  17.2GB  1968MB  linux-swap(v1)

(parted)

>> I submitted a patch ([2]) which adds specific recipes for gpt capable systems which add the additional 10 MiB partition. Partman than creates this partition after the first 1 MiB on the disk in question. The post also contains an alternative approach which might also work (i.e. just extending the sparc recipes).
>
> Yes, there are some things I wanted to test first before adopting the patch.

Adding those recipes for partman-auto will resolve the issue. However, we
should probably add a warning like we had for SILO which reminds users
they have to add a bios_grub partition on a GPT machine:

> https://anonscm.debian.org/git/d-i/attic/silo-installer.git/tree/check.d/silo_check

Does any of the other architectures which use GRUB require a bios_grub partition?

If yes, we should just add sparc and sparc64 to this test. Otherwise, we
will have to add it from scratch, probably to the grub-installer package.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz