Re: RFA: acpi-support -- glue layer for translating laptop buttons, plus legacy suspend support

Giacomo A. Catenazzi wrote:
> Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:
>> Giacomo A. Catenazzi wrote:

>>> Why not?  Is it so bad to give user a choice?
>>
>> No, it's bad to misuse debconf though.
>
> powertop recommend to disable hal polling.
> (note: powertop is not a school project)

Then *maybe* it should be disabled by default, but that's not an excuse to
misuse debconf IMHO.

>>> but a blacklist is only a helper, it would not have the complete list of
>>> broken hardware, and updates on stable are slow.
>>> So users need to override (easily) the decision (e.g. with the debconf
>>> question).
>>
>> No, users should file bugs if their HW is broken so that those can be
>> blacklisted too.
>
> Are you joking?

No

> For one year that user could not use debian stable?

a) There are point releases.
b) The user can still disable polling even without a debconf question.

Cheers,
Emilio