Re: RFA: acpi-support -- glue layer for translating laptop buttons, plus legacy suspend support

Giacomo A. Catenazzi wrote:
> Michael Biebl wrote:
>> Roger Leigh wrote:

>>> So the bug is in a kernel driver, possibly.  But, it's still hal
>>> triggering the bug by the continual polling.

>>> Great, but it's still not the default behaviour.  Does every
>>> user need to find out how to disable it after they become sufficiently
>>> annoyed by the constant spinning up of their CD drive?
>> Why should *every* user need to find out? Seems to me as if you are exaggerating
>> in order to make a point. For the majority of users it just works, that's why it
>> is the default.
>
> powertop encourages to disable polling, so it is a big point.

I agree with you in general, but I doubt polling every 2 or 16 seconds will make
any significant difference power consumption wise.

> "Majority of users it just works", but how many of such user will use this feature?

How shall I answer that?
I know that I myself use auto-mounting extensively and also don't expect my
father to type someting like "mount /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom"

> Is it really needed? 10-15 year ago hardware and kernel started to support
> "new media detection" on floppy disk (and IIRC on CD), so real hardware and kernel
> should support this sort of "hotplug", without polling, or I miss completely the
> issue?

See the hal-disable-polling man page. In short: hardware support for MMC media
change notification is broken.

Cheers,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?