Re: RFA: acpi-support -- glue layer for translating laptop buttons, plus legacy suspend support

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 05:52:41PM +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
> Roger Leigh wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 03:55:15PM +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
> >> hal does not poll removable disks, it does though poll cd-rom drives for new
> >> media and afaik there is no way around that if you want automount for cdrom
> >> drives to work
> >
> > Spinning up the CD drive every 30 seconds is simply not an acceptable
> > "solution".  If that's the best HAL can do, it should be disabled by
> > default, and users will simply have to select the device by hand; we're
> > only talking about automatic mounting here, after all.
>
> First, polling the cd drive for new media should not spin it up. If it does it
> is most likely a kernel/driver or firmware bug.

So the bug is in a kernel driver, possibly.  But, it's still hal
triggering the bug by the continual polling.

> Second, you can very easily disable this behaviour: man hal-disable-polling

Great, but it's still not the default behaviour.  Does every
user need to find out how to disable it after they become sufficiently
annoyed by the constant spinning up of their CD drive?

Seriously, mine all spin up just a second after they spin down from the
previous poll until I kill HAL (-addon-storage).  This continual wear
and tear on the drive is unreasonable.  I don't want HAL to kill my
hardware and constantly annoy me, just because I leave a CD in the
drive.

Regards,
Roger

--