Re: RFA: acpi-support -- glue layer for translating laptop buttons, plus legacy suspend support

Michael Biebl wrote:
> Giacomo A. Catenazzi wrote:
>> Michael Biebl wrote:

>>> Why should *every* user need to find out? Seems to me as if you are exaggerating
>>> in order to make a point. For the majority of users it just works, that's why it
>>> is the default.
>> powertop encourages to disable polling, so it is a big point.
>
> I agree with you in general, but I doubt polling every 2 or 16 seconds will make
> any significant difference power consumption wise.

Recently it was discovered that a blinking cursor consumes a lot of power
(blink is normally between 1 and 2 second interval).
I think it should be the same, in this case.
Take into account that both uses hardware, thus not allowing some chips
to rests.

I've no machine (maybe misconfiguration) with powertop indicating
the power demand.  Could someone do some tests?
(hal-disable-polling has the option also to enable the pooling)

>> "Majority of users it just works", but how many of such user will use this feature?
>
> How shall I answer that?
> I know that I myself use auto-mounting extensively and also don't expect my
> father to type someting like "mount /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom"

On the other side, it was considered a bad idea for the security standpoint.
[Remember also the "audio CD" with also some data (and maybe the famous
old windoze rootkit.  Which kind of CD is recognized? Could user recognize
from CD which action will be done?]

IMHO the right thing to do is "automount", when people try to access the
right directory (filemanager, open dialog windoze, ...).

For these two reason (power and security), I think Debian should offer
a debconf question, (medium priority), about disabling pooling.

ciao
	cate