Re: RFA: acpi-support -- glue layer for translating laptop buttons, plus legacy suspend support

Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:
Giacomo A. Catenazzi wrote:
Michael Biebl wrote:
Giacomo Catenazzi wrote:

For these two reason (power and security), I think Debian should offer
a debconf question, (medium priority), about disabling pooling.
Sorry, but this is certainly not going to happen.
Why not?  Is it so bad to give user a choice?

No, it's bad to misuse debconf though.

powertop recommend to disable hal polling.
(note: powertop is not a school project)

The blacklist for faulty drives on the other hand, installed by
default, might
indeed be a good idea though.
but a blacklist is only a helper, it would not have the complete list of
broken hardware, and updates on stable are slow.
So users need to override (easily) the decision (e.g. with the debconf
question).

No, users should file bugs if their HW is broken so that those can be
blacklisted too.

Are you joking?
For one year that user could not use debian stable?

BTW for one reported bug, there are 10 unreported bugs.
I try hard to convince people to report bugs and I help
translating and explaining how to report bugs.
Anyway some user will no report the bug, and you can
immagine the people that doesn't hit me ;-)

It is also a misuse of bug reports ;-)  because it is
required "by design".

ciao
	cate