Re: RFA: acpi-support -- glue layer for translating laptop buttons, plus legacy suspend support

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 03:55:15PM +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
> Bjørn Mork wrote:
>
> [lot of fud deleted]
>

> > The hal default "polling removable disks" is annoying, useless, and an
> > example of bad hal design.  You may of course continue to ignore this by
> > claiming that I don't know what I'm talking about.  Unfortunately, it
>
> Seems you are confusing a lot of things, "polling removable disks" being one.
> hal does not poll removable disks, it does though poll cd-rom drives for new
> media and afaik there is no way around that if you want automount for cdrom
> drives to work

Spinning up the CD drive every 30 seconds is simply not an acceptable
"solution".  If that's the best HAL can do, it should be disabled by
default, and users will simply have to select the device by hand; we're
only talking about automatic mounting here, after all.

It's the primary reason I try to remove HAL whenever possible.
#370186 might have been closed, but it's still present on all my
hardware, and it's still IMO a grave bug.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh