Re: RFA: acpi-support -- glue layer for translating laptop buttons, plus legacy suspend support

Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> writes:
> Le jeudi 16 avril 2009 à 00:34 +0200, Bjørn Mork a écrit :
>> My list of hal related regressions are
>> a) laptop keys remapped or disappearing (might be caused by the driver -
>>    I don't know)
>
> Yes, they are remapped to the standard XF86* names, so that applications
> configuring shortcuts can have sensible defaults.

So you justify breaking existing setups by claiming the new
configuration is more "sensible".  How many times?  How often?

Every breakage is still a regression in my eyes.

>> b) unwanted auto-mounting
>
> HAL will not do auto-mounting by itself. Some user-level daemon must be
> listening for events and requesting the actual mount.

The auto-mount support in hal is unwanted even without such daemons.
Continously polling all removable storage is a very bad default IMHO.
And why do it if there's no daemon listening for the events anyway?

Yes, I know it can be disabled.  Having to disable such things to
avoid power consumption, noise and wear regressions is still annoying.

An the design sucks.  Daemons wanting events from a polling source
should register with the poller, and polling should be disabled by
default until such a daemon registered itself.

Bjørn