Re: RFA: acpi-support -- glue layer for translating laptop buttons, plus legacy suspend support

Michael Biebl wrote:
Roger Leigh wrote:
On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 05:52:41PM +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
Roger Leigh wrote:

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 03:55:15PM +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
hal does not poll removable disks, it does though poll cd-rom drives for new
media and afaik there is no way around that if you want automount for cdrom
drives to work
Spinning up the CD drive every 30 seconds is simply not an acceptable
"solution".  If that's the best HAL can do, it should be disabled by
default, and users will simply have to select the device by hand; we're
only talking about automatic mounting here, after all.
First, polling the cd drive for new media should not spin it up. If it does it
is most likely a kernel/driver or firmware bug.
So the bug is in a kernel driver, possibly.  But, it's still hal
triggering the bug by the continual polling.

Second, you can very easily disable this behaviour: man hal-disable-polling
Great, but it's still not the default behaviour.  Does every
user need to find out how to disable it after they become sufficiently
annoyed by the constant spinning up of their CD drive?

Why should *every* user need to find out? Seems to me as if you are exaggerating
in order to make a point. For the majority of users it just works, that's why it
is the default.

powertop encourages to disable polling, so it is a big point.

"Majority of users it just works", but how many of such user will use this feature?
Is it really needed? 10-15 year ago hardware and kernel started to support
"new media detection" on floppy disk (and IIRC on CD), so real hardware and kernel
should support this sort of "hotplug", without polling, or I miss completely the
issue?

ciao
	cate