Re: Debian on the Desktop - plans for Lenny?

On 8/9/07, Tim Hull <thully@umich.edu> wrote:

> > My browser (iceweasel) does include .mov as a supported format.  All the
> files I try to play open a player applet, but it does nothing.  Trying to
> open them manually with Totem results in a "Video Codec Advanced Video
> Coding (H264) is not installed" error message. I even installed the ffmpeg
> package - which, for some reason, the gstreamer plugin doesn't seem to
> depend on...
> >
> > I'm running a Lenny install dist-upgraded from an Etch install with the
> desktop task installed.
>
> Update: it works with  libxine1-ffmpeg installed.  Evidently totem-xine is
> installed by default - at least if you install Etch and upgrade to Lenny.
> Is this by design, or just an issue with Etch to Lenny transitions.  I'm
> going to install totem-gstreamer now and compare performance (the audio on
> some trailers didn't work with xine).

You're right, but I thought you argued about Etch. Btw, the idea is
replace xine with gstreamer as default backend, but we've quite some
time until freeze, meanwhile I would recommend you stay tuned for
tasksel updates and switch to totem-gstreamer and install the 0.10
plugins, all of them that are available in testing.

regards,
-- stratus
http://stratusandtheswirl.blogspot.com
get debian @ http://get.debian.net/