Re: Debian on the Desktop - plans for Lenny?

On 8/8/07, Tim Hull <thully@umich.edu> wrote:

> (...)
> >
> > It seems that we have no support for FAAC in main yet. Could you point
> > out a package, set of packages or upstream projects that I should look
> > for?
>
> I meant faad, sorry.  Here's the main lib:
>
> http://packages.debian.org/unstable/libs/libfaad0
>
> and the gstreamer plugin which uses it:
>
> http://packages.debian.org/unstable/libs/gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad

Thanks, I'll look into this.

> (...)
> Regarding Etch - yes, it has indeed come a long way from boot-floppies, and
> is in fact more stable than Ubuntu.  However, I do think Ubuntu does have
> some features that make it "easier" (driver detection, a more streamlined
> live-CD based install, codec installer, and so on).  This can certainly be
> argued, though, and in no way do I mean to say that Debian is necessarily
> hard.

- driver detection
We've driver detection, what's wrong with this feature in your use
case scenario?

- more streamlined live-CD based install
We will have better live-CD based install than anything else I've ever
used in Lenny. The Debian Live team worked on this during debconf and
I'm sure they will deliver great stuff in time for Lenny in the next
year

- codec installer
We can't add non-free codec installers in main. Btw, we support more
multimedia formats *using free software* than any other distribution,
including support for gecko-enabled browsers.

Some Etch reviewers noticed that while others didn't. Etch is
underrated by many and I can't wait to read people comparing
distributions being released late this year with Etch. They should do
a reality check and write how Etch raised the bar.

Oh, you forgot to mention eye-candy involving 3D that seems to be a
must have feature for any desktop out there now. It's clear that we
did the right thing not jumping on the hype boat with Etch. Compiz and
Beryl merged and we don't have tons of Debian Etch desktops out there
with one or other enabled by default. Don't you see? This is pure
sanity for my eyes in terms of support and stability.

> Anyway, I'm not in any way demanding anything - just asking what is going on
> with respect to Lenny, mentioning a few areas that I've seen issues in, and
> seeing where I can help.  The very fact that developers have taken the time
> to respond to my questions/concerns has definitely left me impressed.

You're more than welcome and thanks for the feedback.

regards,
-- stratus
http://stratusandtheswirl.blogspot.com
get debian @ http://get.debian.net/