Re: Simplify installation of non-free? (was: Debian on the Desktop - plans for Lenny?)

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007, Ben Goodger wrote:
> On 08/08/2007, Ben Finney <bignose+hates-spam@benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> > Individual developers can work on non-free to their heart's
> > content, but it should not get any priority from the Debian
> > project.
>
> If these (read: nvidia/ati) drivers were DFSG-compliant, they'd be
> included by default. Since this is not possible, it should be made
> as easy as possible to install them. The only thing is to ensure
> that it remains an opt-in, since people must choose to run
> proprietary software.

I don't believe anyone objects to people who are interested in
non-free drivers working on making them less painfull to install (so
long as people are warned that they are installing non-free drivers.)

The objection is making it a priority over supporting free drivers or
diverting people working on supporting vendors who provide DFSG free
drivers by making it a distribution wide priority.

Since you appear to be interested in it quite a bit, you'd be well
served by making it your priority.

Don Armstrong

--
One day I put instant coffee in my microwave oven and almost went back
in time.