Re: Frank Carmickle and Marco Paganini must die

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 09:20:47AM -0700, Adam McKenna wrote:
> OK, so tell me what scenario you prefer.
>
> Scenario 1:
> -   User e-mails you about something relating to your official duties.
> -   You reply to the user from your dialup IP, and your message gets bounced
>     by his ISP
> -   Upon receipt of the bounce message, you take *20 seconds* to login to a
>     webmail site, cut and paste your e-mail, and include something at the end
>     like "by the way, I tried to send this mail from my other account but it
>     was blocked.  You should consider using an ISP with a better filtering
>     policy"
> -   User says "thanks, I'll look into that" and leaves with a good impression.
>
> Scenario 2:
> -   User e-mails you about something relating to your official duties.
> -   You reply to the user from your dialup IP, and your message gets bounced
>     by his ISP.
> -   You think "fuck this braindead user", delete the message, and forget
>     about it.
> -   User waits a week and sends another message.  You ignore it because in
>     your mind, you already answered him and he ignored you.
> -   User waits another week and then complains to debian-devel about being
>     ignored.  You of course then have to respond to him, bringing up your
>     dynamic IP situation.  We then get to have a repeat of this thread for the
>     Xth time.

Scenario 3:

-    User emails me about something
-    My MTA, before accepting the message, calls back to the user's mx
     and stablishes an SMTP dialog to check if the user is able to
     receive mail from me (with envelope <> to avoid loops).
-    As the user's MX rejects any message from me, the original message
     from the user is rejected with a 550 saying something like "Your
     host is rejecting mail from us. This host will not accept mail that
     cannot be answered"

That's my setup. Users interested in contacting me have to make the
effort themselves, and not the other way around.

Blu.