Re: Frank Carmickle and Marco Paganini must die

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 00:25:42 -0700, Adam McKenna <adam@flounder.net> said:

> On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 01:54:50AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 23:16:07 -0700, Adam McKenna
>> <adam@flounder.net> said:
>>
>> > Debian has been losing popularity, mostly due to it being out of
>> > date.  But part of the reason people are leaving Debian (both
>> > developers and users) is the attitude of some developers.  Look
>> > at DJB if you want an example of what I'm talking about.  The guy
>> > is obviously one of the most talented programmers on the face of
>> > the earth but a lot of people won't use his software because they
>> > don't like his personality.
>>
>> That, too, is a piss-poor way of selecting your tools; I would have
>> no problems using code from anyone as long as they were competent
>> and produced good code; and the license was acceptable.

> I agree.  But the problem is real.  If communicating with someone is
> hard or impossible, you will be less likely to use their product.

	Right. And if you make yourself hard to communicate with by
 filtering away legitimate non-spam email and official announcements,
 then you'l find your self not getting helped and missing out on the
 official communication.

	The world has no obligation to go out of its way to pick up
 after a idiotic filtering policy that filters not on the content, but
 on the class of connection of the originating mta.

>> Since when has the refusal to pander to a moronic mail filtering
>> scheme by people too incompetent to manage their incoming email
>> been a sign of unprofessionalism, btw?

> When you don't make a reasonable effort to contact a person, even
> though his ISP may implement a bad filtering scheme (in your eyes),
> when it is part of the duties of your role, you are not fulfilling
> your duties.  That person's perception will be that he was ignored.

	Bullshit. It is not part of my duties to wipe the butt of
 people too incompetent to figure out a way of getting email.  I'll
 make a reasonable effort (send them mail), and then move on to
 actually working on helping Debian, rather than helping an piss-poor
 email system.

	manoj

--
<james> Are we going to make an emacs out of apt? APT - Debian in a
program.  It even does your laundry -- Seen on #Debian