Re: Frank Carmickle and Marco Paganini must die

On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 10:26:49PM -0700, Erik Steffl wrote:
>   you're so unreasonable I don't even know where to start but here are
> the most obvious problems in your recent emails:

I would characterize my posts as overly hopeful, but not unreasonable.  If
you really think I'm being unreasonable, spend a few years working with Linux
(especially Debian) in the enterprise software world and see if you still
feel the same way.

>   official debian support is the debian-users mailing list, nobody
> should email to developers directly and if they do they'd better be
> ready to not waste developer's time (or be ready to enter business
> relationship).

I'm not talking about generic user support issues.  If you missed that,
you're obviously not reading things very thoroughly.

If a user e-mailed a DD about a generic support issue, I would certainly
expect the DD to refer him to debian-users.

> as far as debian being down the road to be distro for hackers only,
> perhaps you didn't notice that debian is not a business but organization
> of volunteers that more or less (well, I hope more more then less) agree
> with social contract.

Yes, but being a volunteer and acting professionally are not mutually
exclusive.

> When you buy a product from some company you
> expect them to back it up at least a bit (warranty, some support etc.),
> sadly lot of software companies ignore that but at least in theory
> that's how it works. When you get debian there is no such relationship -
> you get debian, you are entitled to use it according to licence, you can
> use mailing lists to get support.

When you use Debian, you can (and should) expect to be treated in accordance
with the Social Contract.

> Considering popularity of debian (and other distros of similar
> nature) it looks like there's a need for debian-like style distro. I
> know I personally like debian because at least one of its target users
> are people like me (I am a developer, sysadmin on the side).

Debian has been losing popularity, mostly due to it being out of date.  But
part of the reason people are leaving Debian (both developers and users) is
the attitude of some developers.  Look at DJB if you want an example of what
I'm talking about.  The guy is obviously one of the most talented
programmers on the face of the earth but a lot of people won't use his
software because they don't like his personality.  I don't want Debian to
become the DJB of Linux distros.  (By the way, please nobody drag DJB
copyright/licensing issues into this discussion.  I am not talking about
licensing.)

>   and slackware rocks.

Maybe in a historical way, but not by any current measure.

--Adam
--
Adam McKenna  <adam@debian.org>  <adam@flounder.net>