Re: Mentoring Feedback

On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 06:41:37PM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Meike Reichle <mrei0999@rz.uni-hildesheim.de> [2005.03.23.1819 +0100]:
> > That's why I said I wasn't sure whether I was a proper
> > mentoringing candidate. I know the mentoring program ist actually
> > aimed at people undertaking a distict project. So, if there is
> > someone who'd like to help me a bit on my way, I'd be happy. If
> > not, that's okay with me as well.
>
> I am speaking for myself. Maybe other mentors want to lead you.
> I take the position that you should do everything yourself or else
> there is no learning effect (or diminished).

In my opinion this is not black and white. Some lead to give the
complete newcommers an idea where to look first is probably OK, but the
difficulty in mentoring is to find the balance so that the mentee is not
lost in all the information and on the other side learns to stand on his
own feet and become more and more independant.
Generally I agree though that it's not the aim of the mentoring that the
mentor does the work for the mentee.

> I guess the best thing to do for you is to start with reading the
> Debian policy and understand every thing there is. When you are
> done, my book will be out, and it will do the rest.

You probably forgot the put some <not to be taken too serious>-tags around
this. I definitely don't suggest the Debian policy as a beginners
document to packaging. To really understand the Policy you should have
quite some knowledge about packaging.

Gaudenz

--
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.