Re: direct ethernet connection between computer and printer

Quoting rlharris@oplink.net (rlharris@oplink.net):
> On Fri, October 16, 2015 2:30 am, Joe wrote:
> > Yes, that should work. I believe your initial difficulty was in setting
> > the IP address on your computer to one in the same network as the original
> > printer's address.
>
> That, and not understanding that the ip address reported by Windows was
> assigned by the DHCP server of the ISP.
>
> > Probably the router can pick up the outside address by DHCP, but if
> > not, you know what it is.
>
> If the router cannot pick up the outside address, I am in trouble.  The
> day I was there, the address corresponding to the radio link happened to
> be 192.168.100.3, but tomorrow it could be 192.168.100.123 or anything
> else.

One of the first configuration screens in the router will be the
WAN/Internet configuration where the router will need to know if you
have to login to the ISP (copy credentials from the Windows machine)
and how to get its IP address. Most people will get theirs dynamically
from the ISP. The fact that the address they issue is in a private
range doesn't make any difference to you if you're not running an
external service for the Internet.

On the LAN side of the router, it (the router) will run another
private network. If you run it on 192.168.100.xx then the fact that
it's the same range as the WAN is really no more than a coincidence.
They are separate private networks.

Personally, I would run 192.168.1.xx on the LAN because (a) I suspect
more than half the world does and (b) my router has no DNS server
built into it, so I have to maintain /etc/hosts on my machines. I
like the numbers there to be instantly and instinctively recognisable
as host IP#s. One less thing to remember.

Cheers,
David.