Re: direct ethernet connection between computer and printer

On Thu, October 15, 2015 6:53 am, Reco wrote:
> Attach Ethernet cable to your laptop and printer via switch.
>
> Ensure that NetworkManager ignores your laptop's Ethernet interface
> (eth0 for simplicity).
>
> Run (as root):
>
> ip l s dev eth0 up ip a a dev eth0 192.168.1.200/24
>
> "ping 192.168.1.210" should succeed.
> "arping -I eth0 192.168.1.210" should show MAC 00:10:83:5D:43:2B.
>
> telnet 192.168.1.210

Reco, this works perfectly.  Many thanks for including all the details.

And it turns out (according to the ISP out there) that my associate is
receiving via a radio link a single address (192.168.100.3) from the DHCP
server of the ISP.

So in order to accommodate an ethernet printer, I need to install and
configure a router.

My only experience with routers has been with a PC running IPCop, but I
understand that there are small firmware-based routers, which I suppose
include a firewall and DHCP server.  Have you any recommendations as to
brand and model?

Russ