Re: direct ethernet connection between computer and printer

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 02:54:31AM -0500, rlharris@oplink.net wrote:
> On Thu, October 15, 2015 1:30 am, Reco wrote:
> > Did this 'configuration report' mention the netmask used by printer?
> > What about printer's MAC?
>
> Yes; the title is "JetDirect Configuration Page", which provides the
> following:
>
> IP ADDRESS: 192.168.1.210
> SUBNET MASK: 255.255.255.0
> DEF. GATEWAY: 192.168.1.1
> LAN HW ADDRESS: 0010835D432B
>
> I presume that the "LAN HW ADDRESS:" is the mac address.

So do I.

> > NetworkManager is unnecessary complex tool for such simple task.
> > A simple sequence of 'ip link set' and 'ip address add' is sufficient
> > for such things.
>
> Understood; but NetWorkManager is installed by default by the Debian
> installer when Xfce is specified in Jessie.  Can I make use of
> NetworkManager, or ignore it?

Attach Ethernet cable to your laptop and printer via switch.

Ensure that NetworkManager ignores your laptop's Ethernet interface
(eth0 for simplicity).

Run (as root):

ip l s dev eth0 up
ip a a dev eth0 192.168.1.200/24

"ping 192.168.1.210" should succeed.
"arping -I eth0 192.168.1.210" should show MAC 00:10:83:5D:43:2B.

If you see all this - you're good and can proceed with:

telnet 192.168.1.210

> > You do not need to guess here. Run tcpdump at your laptop, power cycle
> > the printer. As long as you see requests to 0.0.0.0 udp port 67 - the
> > printer uses DHCP for configuration.
>
> I brought the printer (and the laptop) back here.  I installed tcpdump.  I
> see no requests to 0.0.0.0 udp port 67.

So the printer uses statically assinged IP. This simplifies things :)

Reco