Re: direct ethernet connection between computer and printer

Quoting rlharris@oplink.net (rlharris@oplink.net):
> On Thu, October 15, 2015 6:53 am, Reco wrote:
> > Attach Ethernet cable to your laptop and printer via switch.
> >
> > Ensure that NetworkManager ignores your laptop's Ethernet interface
> > (eth0 for simplicity).
> >
> > Run (as root):
> >
> > ip l s dev eth0 up ip a a dev eth0 192.168.1.200/24
> >
> > "ping 192.168.1.210" should succeed.
> > "arping -I eth0 192.168.1.210" should show MAC 00:10:83:5D:43:2B.
> >
> > telnet 192.168.1.210
>
> Reco, this works perfectly.  Many thanks for including all the details.
>
> And it turns out (according to the ISP out there) that my associate is
> receiving via a radio link a single address (192.168.100.3) from the DHCP
> server of the ISP.

If you really mean this, then what are the devices that "are hidden
behind desks and boxes ... in the office"?

If, as seems more likely, there's some sort of router back there, and
your colleague is using wireless, then there's likely to be an
unused ethernet socket on it which you should be able to connect to
your colleague's computer.

If that computer doesn't have one, does it have a plain old parallel
port? Bit old-fashioned but there we go.

Cheers,
David.