Re: direct ethernet connection between computer and printer

 Hi.

On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 15:01:01 -0500
rlharris@oplink.net wrote:

> On Thu, October 15, 2015 6:53 am, Reco wrote:
> > Attach Ethernet cable to your laptop and printer via switch.
> >
> > Ensure that NetworkManager ignores your laptop's Ethernet interface
> > (eth0 for simplicity).
> >
> > Run (as root):
> >
> > ip l s dev eth0 up ip a a dev eth0 192.168.1.200/24
> >
> > "ping 192.168.1.210" should succeed.
> > "arping -I eth0 192.168.1.210" should show MAC 00:10:83:5D:43:2B.
> >
> > telnet 192.168.1.210
>
> Reco, this works perfectly.  Many thanks for including all the details.

You're welcome.

> And it turns out (according to the ISP out there) that my associate is
> receiving via a radio link a single address (192.168.100.3) from the DHCP
> server of the ISP.
>
> So in order to accommodate an ethernet printer, I need to install and
> configure a router.

And force it to obtain that lease from ISP's DHCP, I presume.

> My only experience with routers has been with a PC running IPCop, but I
> understand that there are small firmware-based routers, which I suppose
> include a firewall and DHCP server.  Have you any recommendations as to
> brand and model?

Stay away from anything made by Cisco. Good models are expensive as
<your_favorite_expletive_here> (and require special training). Cheap
models are spyware-ridden.
Stay away from anything made by D-Link. Those people are unable to
design anything remotely good even if someone's life would depend on
it.
Which leaves us with … Trendnet or Asus, I suppose. Or anything
else you can re-flash with openwrt with minimal hassle.

Last point is crucial. Do not trust router vendor 'firmware' unless
necessary. In the case of the doubt you put openwrt on it, and if you
are unable to do so - stay away from that hardware.

Of course, you can do it old-fachioned style too - just get another
conventional PC with several NICs, and put Debian on it. But
reliability of such "solution" is something that's left to be desired
(and not because of Debian, of course :).

Reco