Re: direct ethernet connection between computer and printer

rlharris@oplink.net composed on 2015-10-15 17:06 (UTC-0500):

> I have read numerous articles on security and I think that I understand
> the issues.  However, I need a solution, if possible, by tomorrow.  The
> WRT110 is here on my desk; it works and costs me nothing.

An internet router with wireless turned off and no connection to a WAN
nevertheless remains a functional switch. Thus "unconnected" it should
function no differently than the ethernet switch mentioned in your OP. Why
you failed with that switch I have no idea. It should have worked, unless one
of the ethernet cables was in fact a crossover cable or otherwise a bad
cable. With two regular ethernet cables, either original switch or the WRT110
should behave just like a crossover cable connection directly between printer
and PC's NIC.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/